• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker: Titan Engine: My Story

News update: I got a picture. ONE lifter has a 1 MM hole in it... and "that was causing the oil pressure to drop."
After talking ot my ASE certified counter'migo, he says that it can't be the cam-break in, otherwise all the lifters would have the same problem or some degree of damage. He says it's probably a wrong-tension spring.. which makes sense.

There's no way to actually prove that it's the spring unfortunately. Hence they get paid for doing the work they've done in the end because I am the one at fault, not them.
A 1 MM hole in a lifter causing oil pressure to drop from 40 to 15? ... I think the spring is a way more viable cause; and the spring would be why that ONE lifter would look like that. I don't see how an ASE certified mechanic that builds his own race car engines and has broken in probably scores of engines (properly) and owned a reputable mechanic shop can possibly be wrong in this situation; especially when logic points to a spring, not a cam. Unless they dropped the cam or hit one of the lobes on something in the process, which would be on them. But once again, there's no way to actually prove this and I'm done waiting on getting my jeep. I'll just pay to replace the lifters and cam so I can get my damn Jeep back. I haven't driven since I came back from Japan 2 months ago and I have a few thousand dollars in parts I've anxiously been awaiting to put on there. It's time to just let them do it themselves so nothing can be pinned on me so I can get it back.

They will break it in. If it was indeed a bad spring they will have seen it and replaced it. Then they'll break in my engine. Then it'll run good or it'll be back in their shop with an ASE certified mechanic on hand to verify the problem. Then I'll get my money back in the end for the first time they jew'd me because I'll build my case and take their asses to court.
Because if it dies on me again, I'll inconvienence the hell out of them and see how they like it on their dime.

For the first 15 minutes I recall Brian gassing it up to 1500 for a little, and then 2000, then revving it up to 3000 from 1500 and 2000. Then letting it hang at 2500 here and there. I can't recall it perfectly because I was in the engine bay looking and listening, and going back and forth.

Well it looks like I have to use a web site to post the picture. I'll do that later after I get home from work.

Update: I have driven it 600 miles and recently had the serpentine belt come off in mid-operation for no apparent reason. It must have been off a bit longer than I expected because all at once I smelled coolant and it was flooding out of the overflow reservoir.. which had boiling coolant inside it. I replaced it and bought an extra.
The next day, today, I drove about 25 miles and this one got chewed up around the fan blade. After closer inspection one of the bolts on the AC going into the engine was completely out and the other in the back was still in.. but only an inch of the bracket surrounding it was connected to it. The AC housing broke off from it.
Some of the quality work resulting from Titan engines putting it all back together in pristine order after I got jew'd into paying the 760.00 for the new cam valve springs and reassembly.

So 60 dollars in belts and now I need a new AC which will cost hundreds and $125 + tax to have vacuumed and recharged at Sears.

Don't support Titan in any way.

Sincerely,
Coffee Commando~

P.S. Titan sucks the big one.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Might I suggest however- shopping around for a good mechanic is a little more involved than looking for the nearest ASE logo. That really means nothing other than somebody passed a written test- might not even have been in the avenue of work you're looking for.

I could go on about UTI and Wyotech's 'supertechs' and how they do out in the real world, but the day's getting short. :)

But also based on the various stories I've read of Titan here, I wouldn't hesitate to spend my money elsewhere. He shouldn't need to find a competent mechanic within 1000 miles of getting the engine.

But also based on the various stories I've read of Titan here, I wouldn't hesitate to spend my money elsewhere. He shouldn't need to find a competent mechanic within 1000 miles of getting the engine.

Youre right, but there's enough mention of 'ASE certified' in his posts that I think he's giving ASE way too much credit.

Don't buy a Titan. There. :)

When I say ASE I am referring to one credible source. I only know the one mechanic, and he's not a written test person. He does things, not take tests and to get the cert only. That's all I'll say about that. He's a real mechanic, one that actually knows mechanics. He doesnt do electronics, but he knows his gears.

I know this is an old thread, but for what it's worth I have had the Titan 4.6L in my 89 for about 4 years now and have had zero issues. I have no doubt that Golen and some of the others make a higher quality motor, but I also think Titan is getting a bad wrap by just a few individuals who have had trouble and are very vocal about it on Naxja. Do your research and make an informed decision, and remember that bad news travels faster than good news.

Wow. I started searching about Titan a few days ago when i found out about their 4.6 stroker. I look on here and see this. After reading these threads about them, i started searching on ford, chevy and dodge forums. And guess what. I couldnt find anything anything bad about them on thoes forums. They only have one dispute on BBB.com.
So this really makes me wonder whats going on. Are Jeep owners the only ones that have problems with Titan or what.
It really seems like there would be more info about Titan if their products really are horrible garbage.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Wow. I started searching about Titan a few days ago when i found out about their 4.6 stroker. I look on here and see this. After reading these threads about them, i started searching on ford, chevy and dodge forums. And guess what. I couldnt find anything anything bad about them on thoes forums. They only have one dispute on BBB.com.
So this really makes me wonder whats going on. Are Jeep owners the only ones that have problems with Titan or what.
It really seems like there would be more info about Titan if their products really are horrible garbage.

It seems the OP just got a lemon and was very verbal about it. I have not heard alot of bad about them. I wouldn't trust a crate engine from a rebuilder that builds hundreds iof engines a day though. I would want to build my own with help from some socal folks who know their stuff unquestionably.

It seems the OP just got a lemon and was very verbal about it. I have not heard alot of bad about them. I wouldn't trust a crate engine from a rebuilder that builds hundreds iof engines a day though. I would want to build my own with help from some socal folks who know their stuff unquestionably.

I would like to have it built locally also. When you go that route though you usually dont have a warranty. There really isnt anybody around me that i can find that can build what I want.

I would like to have it built locally also. When you go that route though you usually dont have a warranty. There really isnt anybody around me that i can find that can build what I want.
I believe it would be worth the cost of shipping to contact Russpottenger on here. He builds the best Jeep engines I have ever seen. I would trust my life to his work.

At the end of the day though, Titan has had engines go very wrong for several members in the last couple years, and seems to have done very little to nothing to make things right for them.

That said, Titan has appeared to take the time to make multiple fake accounts on the forums here, pretending to be happy customers and telling tales of success. One thread in particular comes to mind, with multiple users from different states posting how great Titan products are - but from the same IP address and same computer, which lives in the same small town Titan is in. ...why not try putting that effort into fixing problems vs faking success?

Not the mark of a great company.

Titan has appeared to take the time to make multiple fake accounts on the forums here, pretending to be happy customers and telling tales of success. One thread in particular comes to mind, with multiple users from different states posting how great Titan products are - but from the same IP address and same computer, which lives in the same small town Titan is in. ...why not try putting that effort into fixing problems vs faking success?

Not the mark of a great company.
That in itself would make me avoid them like like a two bit whore with open sores.

I went with the Titan Stroker. I know I know. This guy had problems and that guy had problems. blah blah. Of course some people are gonna have problems, its a man made product. But, if I can only find 4-5 people on the interwebs that have had problems with this company, they must not be too bad. No product is 100% fail proof. I have had great customer service. I met Chuck and he took me for a ride in his 4.9 Wrangler. And I have since talked to him multiple times with various questions. I am pleased with the motor. It runs smooth and has lots of power. No problems as of yet. It fired right up the first try with just the tap of the key and everytime since then. Im at about 90 miles on the motor.

Back