• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker: Titan Engine: My Story

The only affiliation I have with Titan engines is that I am a customer.

You'll have to forgive his paranoia (and not just his). We recently had a rash of new users here with only 1 or 2 posts that are pro titan, all from the same IP address that geotraces to Ocala, Florida.

The only affiliation I have with Titan engines is that I am a customer.

You'll have to forgive his paranoia (and not just his). We recently had a rash of new users here with only 1 or 2 posts that are pro titan, all from the same IP address that geotraces to Ocala, Florida.
And they all had similar stories. "I looked up Titan and found this thread but no one else seems to have problems. I talked to them and they know their stuff, real good guys. I am going to write off the experiences listed here and buy it anyways."
"So, I've had it a while and not a single problem. I don't know what others may have done but in all 90 miles, I haven't had any problems..."

Considering the 4 or so other users who came on and stuck up for Titan all being from Titan and having similar attitudes/opinions to yours, it just struck me as suspicious. If you truly have no affiliation with Titan, I apologize, but surely you can see my cause. :D

And they all had similar stories. "I looked up Titan and found this thread but no one else seems to have problems. I talked to them and they know their stuff, real good guys. I am going to write off the experiences listed here and buy it anyways."
"So, I've had it a while and not a single problem. I don't know what others may have done but in all 90 miles, I haven't had any problems..."

Considering the 4 or so other users who came on and stuck up for Titan all being from Titan and having similar attitudes/opinions to yours, it just struck me as suspicious. If you truly have no affiliation with Titan, I apologize, but surely you can see my cause. :D

I can see why you would think that.
Another insight on why i went with Titan. My jeep has 75*** miles on it. This Titan motor that is in here is the 4th motor in this Jeep. When i bought the Jeep, it was wrecked and someone had begun putting a junkyard motor in (or they had begun tearing apart the JY motor that was in it). I bought the jeep from a title pawn, they knew nothing about it or current state. The head was removed and inside of motor was exposed and rusty.
So, i buy an engine from a J/Y and the motor lasts about 10k miles before it starts loosing coolant, boiling over, random overheating, bottom end nock.
So, i sure didnt want the 4th motor in this jeep to be stock. I had a strict budget of $3k for the motor and not much more for all the other stuff i would need. I talked to several people locally that build engines, and i could not find anyone locally that has experience with building Jeep motors. And the people that I did talk to told me that i wouldnt be able to have one built for less than $3k and even if they could there would be no warranty. Another guy that builds motors in my town told me he didnt even know you could bore and stroke a 4.0.
So, with my budget hesco and golen are out of the question. That left Titan. I talked with them several times before i made my decision.
I know 90(now about 130 miles) isnt a lot, but it seems the people with problems experienced problems fairly quickly. Mine runs like a sewing machine. It does run about 5-10 hotter than it did before, but the temp holds and has not worried me. It dosent even make it to the next line past 210. A laser temp gauge showed me a fluctuation of between 208* and 218* at the sensor.
as of now i am happy with my purchase, and i will continue to keep this thread updated on the engine, that is if anyone even cares.

FWIW here is the Jeep and thread i started when i joined here.http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1042007

600 Miles down with no problems. I raced my friends YMZ450R and a Polaris Predator in 4wd on a dirt gravel road and beat the Polaris and almost beat the YMZ450(he got me on the top end). I raced the Polaris before I had the new motor and he beat me then.

about 1600 miles down. Just made a trip to North GA and went wheeling at Beasley Knob. No problems at other than the lack of lockers and protection. It was a lot of steep inclines and really tested the cooling system, but it never ran hot and i drove 70-80 mph on the 250 mile trip home. But i think i fared well on the trails with only minimal body damage damage.

Just checking in to this old thread. When last we heard from me I had given up on Titan and installed a stock Jasper remanufactured motor, at about 225K miles on jeep. Jeep passed the 300K mile mark this month with the Jasper running strong and no complaints. Overall I'm glad I gave up on stroked motors, especially out here in the hot south west USA. I'll just go a little slower.

Mike

Yes, others have installed stroked engines with success. But in the end, more horsepower in an internal combustion engine means more heat to be eliminated via the radiator. There's just no way around this bit of physics. XJ is known to run hot as-is. I eventually concluded that on many days here in the southwest the existing radiator would just be unable to move all the heat the extra HP would produce and I'd have to run slowly anyway. And then there was the extra cost of higher performance fuel...

But on cold days... my brief experience with the stroked motor left me impressed with all the extra jump and pull. Not your grandfather's jeep anymore...

Back