• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strapping a vehicle to a trailer?

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if you could hook a strap to a Beadlock wheel on your vehicle to secure it to the trailer. Of course I am talking 4 straps 1 on each wheel. Just thinking, doing this instead of going to the axles or the body. Good idea, bad idea any insight.
Cardboard

<shrug> Securely, more than anything. As far as strapping to beadlocks go, whatever you connect to needs to be secure, and reduce the risk of a hook coming loose. I'd be more concerned about how the hook engages, i.e. is the end of the hook against the inner rim, am I going to bend the rock ring, or something else of that nature.

I towed my 94 XJ w/ a 6" lift some 5,000 miles last years, strapped down to the axles, no problems at all.

best way is to attach to frame. make the suspension squat so the rig doesnt bounce around like a retard on crack

Really dumb idea actually, the suspension on a trailer is well hardly there. The best thing to do is to strap straight back (don't X the straps) 2 in front and 2 in back on the axles. This way your suspension soaks up the bumps in the road and the trailer doesn't have to do all the work. This also puts way less tension on your straps.

Macs custom tie downs was featured in an article in CRAWL mag a year ago or so I want to say, they gave insight into strapping down and how it should be done.

Oh and don't ever use a winch to suck down a suspension and anchor your rig onto a trailer, that wont end well either. The shockloading from the bumps destroys the winch and rope.

-Alex

This didnt seem like a good idea to me but it got me thinking. Currently I use chains (3) 2 in back pulled tight and 1 in front with a boomer. I tried straps to the body once and it just seemed to make the trailer ride very harsh. I agree the jeep suspension rides better when it can move.
Cardboard

Every tow truck in the country has a better suspension than most car hauler length trailers. If you actually watch most long haul drivers secure the wheels with straps of some kind.
Cardboard

This didnt seem like a good idea to me but it got me thinking. Currently I use chains (3) 2 in back pulled tight and 1 in front with a boomer. I tried straps to the body once and it just seemed to make the trailer ride very harsh. I agree the jeep suspension rides better when it can move.
Cardboard
You want to be careful with this method. Some states, Michigan for example, now require 2 independent chains or straps at each end. Yes, I know. For decades, we strapped tractors down with 2 chains in front, and one through a clevis on the tow bar. From what the ag dealers told Dad & I a few years ago, that's a problem now.

Macs custom tie downs was featured in an article in CRAWL mag a year ago or so I want to say, they gave insight into strapping down and how it should be done.

On the basis of quite a few people recommending a Mac's pack, I bought an ultra-pack with the axle loops. Very well made straps, I've been quite happy with them.

Something else that bears mentioning with straps. Make sure that you have at least one full wrap on the winch before you get to full tension. You need that full wrap to get enough friction to keep the straps from loosening up.

I always strap to the axles one strap per corner and have never had an issue... I wouldnt ever strap a jeep by the frame to a car trailer..

I was wondering if you could hook a strap to a Beadlock wheel on your vehicle to secure it to the trailer. Of course I am talking 4 straps 1 on each wheel. Just thinking, doing this instead of going to the axles or the body. Good idea, bad idea any insight.
Cardboard

I have a couple buddies with buggys and thats how they strap down.

I use Macs tie downs with axle hoops and chain extensions.

I'm glad I saw this. I've just gone by my mililtary experience which is to strap to the frame. I never thought about the trailer's suspension not really being adequate enough.

I do a 10,000 pound nylon ratchet strap to an axle strap at each corner. I have been crossing the rears. Straight back would probably be fine too.

The policy at work is that pretty much only sections of crane boom get strapped down with nylons, everything else is chains and binders.

When we strap a vehicle down in the airplane we put 2 10K chains forward and aft on each axle. And then 2 10K to the front and rear bumpers. So the vehicle and other large vehicle don't hit the roof. I don't think pulling a trailer you would need that many chains (straps) to tow a XJ coz you can't have that many Gs on the trailer.

I don't think I'd b confortable towing with only straps on the wheels.

I use Mac's straps as well and I would recommend them to anyone.
Two on each axle, crossed. Two more sucking down the suspension (one each front & rear). Then two safety chains (one each front & rear).

Some say I may "over strap", but I don't feel so. It takes me just as long as the next guy only doing half of it once you get the rhythm down.

Bad picture, but you get the idea.
JeepLoaded.jpg

Is your suspension really floaty or loose? Out here the roads suck so we need to keep the vehicles moving on the trailers or else it would be like towing a brick. I don't like that a suspension can compress further and then binds against the strap and chain as it rebounds upwards.

-Alex

I'm glad this was posted up. I should be taking delivery of my new trailer this week and have been looking at straps and such. Good to see Mac's recommended, they were one of my choices.

My trailer had decent springs so I did two axle straps on each end, then cross strapped the front and rear down. Most of my towing is in the mountains of Colorado with lots of curvy steep grades. The axle straps keep it from going anywhere and the cross straps keep the slinky XJ suspension from causing the trailer to swaying, especially when heavy braking going down hill on a corner.

Back