• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange 97/98 fuel issue

I've scoured the "search" modes, and haven't seen all of this asked or answered. My 98 4.0 5-spd has a hard start, many, many cranks, but it always pops eventually. * But if fuel level is below about 1/4, it also hesitates when turning left and accelerating hard (across a highway, etc.). My initial guess is fuel pressure regulator/fuel pump (140k) but i don't have access to a pressure tester, and I KNOW it's a PITA to replace the fuel pump in the tank (w/the DC skid plate on tank). I saw some conflicting data here and want to know before I dig into a tank pull. Is the Fuel Pressure Regulator in or around the fuel pump as well? if it is, I'm SOL.
BTW - I say 97/98 because I have a new/rebuilt (o miles) 98 motor in my 97. But it did this on both, so it's not anything to do w/the motor.
What is a guesstamite $ cost on this? I've heard factory is the only way to go with the pump/filter.
TIA!

The sending unit on the fuel pumps had issues in 97 and 98, in fact there is a recall for the 97's. When the tank gets down to it's last 3 gallons or so and you make a hard turn the gas goes over to one side of the tank and the fuel pump sucks air, not good for the pump because being immeresed in gas is what keeps it cool.
Try this, turn the key and count to 10 then turn it the last click to start, if if fires right up then it's the the little valve you are worried about, it's part of the fuel pump..

gmars said:
I've scoured the "search" modes, and haven't seen all of this asked or answered. My 98 4.0 5-spd has a hard start, many, many cranks, but it always pops eventually. * But if fuel level is below about 1/4, it also hesitates when turning left and accelerating hard (across a highway, etc.). My initial guess is fuel pressure regulator/fuel pump (140k) but i don't have access to a pressure tester, and I KNOW it's a PITA to replace the fuel pump in the tank (w/the DC skid plate on tank). I saw some conflicting data here and want to know before I dig into a tank pull. Is the Fuel Pressure Regulator in or around the fuel pump as well? if it is, I'm SOL.
BTW - I say 97/98 because I have a new/rebuilt (o miles) 98 motor in my 97. But it did this on both, so it's not anything to do w/the motor.
What is a guesstamite $ cost on this? I've heard factory is the only way to go with the pump/filter.
TIA!

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/quickfpg.html Here is a site that tells how to build tester. on my 97 cherokee 4.0 the filter and regulator are mounted on top of fuelpump module. Badge 714 dale

I hope this helps

fuelreg.txt

Back