• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stomper

Gas is fairly new (couple months) as I had to clean out the entire fuel system (tank too) since it had been sitting for a couple years. While the cap & rotor aren't new, neither do they have many miles on them...

I believe so, but I have no idea what the specs are... I have a call in to my friend who was the previous owner.

Some cams change the firing order so might want to check that. Have you checked the timing? One last thing. Know any cops or have one that works in the area? The reason I asked is on my 69 F100 I needed a vin verification. I asked a local cop that worked in my area and he just came over and did it.

yeah, unfortunately the only cops I know are Yella (Jeffco) and Ryan (Teller Cty)... plus the asshats at the County now tell me I need a "weight slip" from the local gravel yard to register it as well, so its going to have to move under its own power at some point. I know it ran fine with this cam for a couple of years, because I wheeled with my buddy after the install of the engine for a couple of seasons (yes, I used to actually go wheeling!). It idles fairly smoothly, just stumbles and lacks power under load. My guess is timing, but as I said, I no longer retain the knowledge or tools to work such issues on engines that aren't contoled by a computer. I am indeed a sad sack.

BTW -- Thanks for the reference, Mike, but I'm a stubborn SOB. I'd rather pay someone to plow my drive than pay someone to work on a 30 year old plow truck... I will keep them in mind though!

Happy to have another set of eyes on it -- I'm moderately confident in my carb rebuild, although it may not be tuned just right. Stomper previously lived at around 6000' near loveland, so I'm slightly higher (7400') but I re-used the same jets and such for altitude adjustment. Possible that its rich or something, I guess, but it still should run better than it is. The occasional backfire is leading me to the timing issue conclusion...

backfire through the carb -- any evening this week works for me... I'm still hoping against hope to meet my Friday paper plate deadline...

I can come up tonight. Just tell me what time. Also is the weight of the truck on the old title or registration? My friends wife works at the DMV and she says that if the weight is on any of those you don't need it weighed.

That's the problem, Nebraska didn't put it on the title. I'll dig through the pile o crap on the floor and see if I can find an old registration from CO or WY, they might have it...

I'll be home by 5 -- I'm gonna owe ya again! BTW, while I had hoped it would fix it, the new column/switch had no effect on the defective right turn signal. :(

Joe - you da man! We adjusted the timing from 14*btdc to 10* btdc and son of a biatch, the mofo runs... it would run better of the rear brakes weren't locked up, but that appears to have cleared itself up for now as well... I may make my deadlines after all this week -- thanks again, Joe, I owe ya! :cheers:

cool, so Troy, I'll see you at what, 7:30 tonight down in the springs? ;)

There is still that part of the equation.........
Police.gif

Yeah, I used to do VIN verifications all the time when I worked for Air Care Colorado. If I still had any slips I'd totally hook you up, but I don't.

I know, just call 911 and say you've noticed some guys in black hoodies stalking through the trees surrounding your property and you suspect criminal intent. When they officer shows up to investigate you can ask him to do the VIN verification. :D

Jurisdiction is limited only to the State of Colorado. Any CO law enforcement officer can do it. Hit up Ryan (Jeepdude)......

Back