• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still Overheating-New Engine and Cooling System

87manche said:
go to the parts store, buy a mechanical guage, thread that into the coolant temp sensor hole. Most of them come with a variety of adapters. I believe the CTS hole is 3/8" NPT
SHould cost you about $20.

idk if this changes anythign but
the 97 didnt have the temp sensor at the back of the block like the 89 would have so the previous owner modified the 89 temp sensor to be in the thermostat housing. (im not sure if the sensor is actually a 89 unit or a 97 unit) would this cause it to read wrong?

Oizarod115 said:
is the meat thermo in the coolant bottle a 'kosher' way of testing the heat in the system? cause i tried it but didn't know whether to trust it or not.

When I checked mine with the meat thermometer I just placed the end of the probe on the back of the head right next to the sender, got the 208 deg. reading. I also checked other places on the block and in the radiator. Got right near the same reading.
Just to see if I was getting a proper temp, I went to a local garage and one of the grease monkeys checked it with a lazer thermometer and he got a reading of 209 deg.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks everyone for your input.

We finally discovered we had a bad Turtle (new from Quadratec). It had a small crack by the return line (top hose) that was leaking the pressure out of the system.

Also discovered, when we swaped an OEM sensor from my rig into the beast, that the new temperature sensor we got from NAPA was giving the wrong reading. With the NAPA sensor, we were reading approx. 240°. With the OEM sensor it read just under 210 (this is all after we fixed the turtle).

Thanks for everyone's help here. I think we finally got this beast dialed and can now start on mine.

Advice for all: Stay away from NAPA sensors and check your turtle (again)

good advise on the turtle, mine is cracked along the center seam and pushes out fluid when under pressure.
I just bought a Moroso aluminum tank to install in place of the plastic. not gonna play the plastic game.

Back