• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stick shift availability question

The 2000 5 spd units are out there, but I guess you really have to hunt them down. I remember seeing 4 - 5 spd XJ's on the local dealer lot when they arrived here, 3 - four door, and 1 - two door Up Country model.....

Matthew Currie said:
Yeah, and then take care of it! Dang! I just went to the junkyard today and there was a nice shiny 99 Classic with a stick, that juicy dark red color. Rolled and twisted like a pretzel, totally totalled! :cry:
A Classic?

In 2000 you couldn't order a Classic with a 5-speed. I know -- I tried. Of course, in 2000 you also couldn't order an overhead console in a Sport, and you could in '99.

When I purchased my '98 NEW in October of '97 I searched for a manual transmission for a couple months and just happened to stumble across the one I have....
The dealer did not even show the vehicle in their inventory....
My requirements were blue, green, grey, 4.0L, 5 spd, 8.25 w/ full size spare.

Charles

edmaude said:
Rich what was the final mileage on your engine when it kicked it? 200 plus, right?

The final milage was around 307,000, as I noted in the injector post, if I had do overs I'd do the injectors every 100,000mi. Mine were original and had never been touched.

Eagle said:
A Classic?

In 2000 you couldn't order a Classic with a 5-speed. I know -- I tried. Of course, in 2000 you also couldn't order an overhead console in a Sport, and you could in '99.

I could be wrong about its being a classic. And of course around here there's not absolute guarantee it wasn't a Canadian one too. All I know is that it was a 5-speed, and it looked as if Godzilla or Rodan had picked it up and thrown it across town.

Why would you want to go through such trouble to build a 2.5L automatic?

Rick Anderson said:
Funny, I'm looking around junkyards here in Southern MARYLAND, and can't find any 2.5L Automatic Cherokees. There all 6 cylinders, more often Manuals than Automatics.

I'm considering a swap to automatic, the only way to practically do it, is too find a donor car in a junkyard that the owner is willing to allow me to scrounge all the additional small parts with the tranny.

I just spotted a fairly clean 98 5-speed, but it has 145 thousand miles on it and they want 5 grand. Might give it a closer look this weekend. Unfortunately the dealer in question is a questionable dealer, too. Gonna have to look very very closely.

Matthew Currie said:
Yeah, and then take care of it! Dang! I just went to the junkyard today and there was a nice shiny 99 Classic with a stick, that juicy dark red color. Rolled and twisted like a pretzel, totally totalled! :cry:

I do take care of mine! When I bought my VW, my salesman was so impressed with the condition of my trade-in that he told me to call him when I was ready to sell the VeeDub. Unfortunately, he left the dealership before I got fed up with the VW after two years!

I wonder how badly you can mangle a '99 Classic, and not mess up any of the Important Stick Pieces? :)

Den

DenLip said:
I do take care of mine! When I bought my VW, my salesman was so impressed with the condition of my trade-in that he told me to call him when I was ready to sell the VeeDub. Unfortunately, he left the dealership before I got fed up with the VW after two years!

I wonder how badly you can mangle a '99 Classic, and not mess up any of the Important Stick Pieces? :)

Den

I confess I didn't look too closely, since it was about 12 degrees out and the thing was sitting in a foot or so of snow. I'm guessing from the damage that the tranny etc. might be all right, but you'd have to look awfully closely for cracks and the like, because the thing looked as if was rolled hard, possibly endo-ed with a hard hit to the tail at the end of the process. The driver's space wasn't too badly deformed, so the pedals are probably salvageable.

I found my 2000 XJ 5-spd in Vermont. It was not easy finding one but they are out there! Live in MA now and I guess i am one of very few who have the 5-spd.

Drat!

Now I can't claim to have the only one in New England. :explosion

Eagle said:
Drat!

Now I can't claim to have the only one in New England. :explosion

With any luck, by tomorrow night I should be in possession of my "new" 99 5-speed sport, that is if the owner manages to get the paperwork in order. He thought he'd misplaced the title, then realized he'd put it up as collateral for a boat loan, paid off the loan, went to the bank today and found it closed, etc. etc. I think he's honest, but he's kind of a space cadet. I sure hope so because my check already cleared.

Back