• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering

jeepster15299

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks! I hope someone can help me. I took my '89 Cherokee in for the state inspection, and I learned that I need a steering shaft, the rag joint is bad, a power steering box, link pins(2), which I heard called stabilizer bars(they are probabaly 6 to eight inches long, on each side in the front) . Now, unless I can find another garage that don't seem to be ripping me off with unneeded work, I have to do some wrenching myself. My question is, or are, because I have more than one to ask, on the steering part, it looks like i could replace the bushings or whatever, and I was told that the whole thing needs replaced. Unfortunately, the parts ain't cheap. If there is a chance that I can get away with replacing the bushings, let me know. The mechanic also said the steering box is bad. Is'nt a rag joint a replaceable part on the steering box? I remember tightening down the rag joints of cars, but I am not sure about four wheel drive vehicles. The reason I think I am being ripped off is, because the last year, I had a problem with the steering box and a good guy fixed it up(it broke away from the vehicle, so he reinforced it and it was fine. This was something I was aware of. My next problem was the column was loose, had that tightened up and it passed inspection. Now I see those links have some some wear, the right one has a split bushing. How easy is it to replace those? Any tech tips are appreciated. The items I see that are "bad" are the stabilizer bar has a split bushing, but no play. Why would he say my steering box is bad? Well, I think that is all. HAAHA I thank you all for any help

Dirt said:
I would just move to a state that doesn't require inspections.

IMHO.. Please don't write random crap like that that doesn't help out in anyway.

Bacl to the problem at hand. I am not sure about how strict your laws are on this (seems to be very) here all we have to have is good lights and glass (mostly) But I cannot see why he would say your steering box is actually "bad" did he drive the vehicle and assume that it was? Or is he some mechanic just assuming? And if it is, dont buy a new one just rebuilid the one you have. Save some dough. From what I have found most of the front end problems on late model vehicles can be solved with new bushings and a good cleaning/greasing.

Don't bring that "badass" attitude here. You'll wish you were back at the junkyard.

:kissyou:

I've observed that lifted Jeep XJ's tend to bend the upper end of the sway bar link (where the threads are). Maybe they all tend to bend. Anyway, If yours are bent, I could see them failing state inspection. But they are not difficult to change. Visit your local wrecking yard and find links that are not bent at the top.
If it's just bad bushings, go to your local parts house and buy new ones; these are easy to replace.
The steering shaft on an XJ does not have "rag joints"; it has two u-joints that slid onto the steering shaft coming out of the steering column, and to the short, spline shaft coming out of the steering box. You cant replace the u-joints, since they are welded to the ends of the shaft. If either one or both have too much slop in them, you have to replace the whole shaft. I may be wrong, but I think I had to remove the steering box to remove the steering shaft. There is not enough slack to pull the respective u-joints off of the shafts. If your going to do this work yourself, I suggest you by some sort of manual such as Haynes or Chilton that includes procedures for an 89XJ.

Thanks so much. I had gone over the vehicle myself, and found that I have a split bushing on one rod that goes to the center link, but the is no loose play anywhere I see on the jeep. I had problems last year, where the steering box broke away from the frame. I had that reinforced. Shortly after that was the column inside came loose, and fixed that. During that time, my front tires wore out on the outer tread, both sides. I just bought new tires, and hope that is it for awhile. It seems that this mechanic is trying to make some money on me? On the steering shaft itself, there was no play where the two shafts met, so I have no idea why I was told that. As far as moving to a state where there is no inspections is not much help. I agree. Thanks so much for the help, and take care.

jeepster15299 said:
It seems that this mechanic is trying to make some money on me? On the steering shaft itself, there was no play where the two shafts met, so I have no idea why I was told that. As far as moving to a state where there is no inspections is not much help. I agree. Thanks so much for the help, and take care.

You can run into this problem in PA... because 90%+ of the customers will "just get it done" when the inspection mechanic points out a problem. (I even admit to doing it once myself.... when my alternator failed ON THE WAY TO THE INSPECTION STATION! I had him replace it... for $$$).

The only recourse is to eat the money you paid... and take it somewhere else. Or else fix every little nit the first guy saw - because he ain't gonna sticker it until you do.

Did he leave you the option? The letter of the law states that he should REMOVE THE STICKERS from the window prior to inspection - - because a failure has to be fixed within DAYS, even if the stickers were still good for a month or two.

Den

Well, the guy did not remove the stickers, and the law here is that emissions come first, he went and did the safety first. I am out 20 bucks. Oh well. thanks

Back