• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Shaft Brace? Looking for ideas for my steering problem.

I've seen a few guys do this on XJ's since this thread started. I even emailed PSC and they would sell me the bearing and sector shaft nut from the dodge kit separately. JKS even makes one now for JK's.

i made my own kit and it was definitely an improvement over not having anything.

I built a knock off of the dodge race using the pitman but from PSC and a pillow block

1347029199.jpg

1347029176.jpg

This is without the pillow block bolted on

It mounts where the swaybar did. I haven't built extended mounts for the swaybar yet, so it is currently off. Also uses two bumper bolts to give two 90* mounting planes. Just basic 2x2 1/8" tube with some plate for the end brackets.

ooo shiny. Where are you guys sourcing the pillow block from? The link i posted earlier had the bearing and the sector shaft nut thingy and bolts for ~$45

That should be nothing more than a 1" self aligning bearing in a 2 bolt pillow block. Any decent farm equipment shop should have those, and any bearing supply house should be able to hand you one without even cracking a book.

i got mine at a surplus yard for $5, and it has quite a bit of allowance for misalignment so that the bracket doesnt need to be even remotely precise.

That should be nothing more than a 1" self aligning bearing in a 2 bolt pillow block. Any decent farm equipment shop should have those, and any bearing supply house should be able to hand you one without even cracking a book.

This. I think I got it from
bearingson.com

There are also a few pitman nuts for JKs that work. I found one that was much shorter but wider diameter as the earring surface is around the shaft rather than Below it like PSC. I thought it might give better clearance, but because it uses a larger 1 5/8" bearing the pillow block is much larger which actually made the clearance worst.

I suppose you could also try the pillow blocks that are oriented 90* to mine, that might give better clearance than my setup.

After breaking a sector shaft on the Dusy last year, I've decided it's time to build one of these. I ordered the nut from psc, and a pillow block from amazon total of $40 shipped. One thing that's got me confused is what Goatman said on the first page. If the sector shaft brace runs to both frame rails, wouldn't it help with frame flex? My drivers side frame rail is plated on all 4 sides from the trackbar bracket forward(because the inside of the frame split when I broke the steering box). Trackbar bracket is braced to the passenger rail, and I run a front receiver hitch tying the front end together. I would think that the extra bracing from the sector shaft brace would pretty well lock my front end together?
1466091F-5CA4-4C6C-AD74-A9A5A75ABFD3-487-0000008CD0762DEB.jpg

Pic of damage.

After breaking a sector shaft on the Dusy last year, I've decided it's time to build one of these. I ordered the nut from psc, and a pillow block from amazon total of $40 shipped. One thing that's got me confused is what Goatman said on the first page. If the sector shaft brace runs to both frame rails, wouldn't it help with frame flex? My drivers side frame rail is plated on all 4 sides from the trackbar bracket forward(because the inside of the frame split when I broke the steering box). Trackbar bracket is braced to the passenger rail, and I run a front receiver hitch tying the front end together. I would think that the extra bracing from the sector shaft brace would pretty well lock my front end together?
1466091F-5CA4-4C6C-AD74-A9A5A75ABFD3-487-0000008CD0762DEB.jpg

Pic of damage.

This was my thought. Some has had issues with steerin braces tearing the frame, but those were the kind that ties in only to the opposite rail. However, I too have a trackbar brace tying the frame together, then the steering brace pictured above, then a rigidco bumper. Last thing to do is plate. I doubt there will be much chance of splitting the frame again. If worried you could always go hydro assist

bringing this back from the dead because i was doing some research and came upon this

BD Diesel hardware kit... #1302000
0000341.jpg

Using that you could fab any sort of brace you wanted

Anyone confirm that the nut in this kit is the same size as the XJ sector shaft nut? Kit pictured runs $51.00....which seems a little husky to me.

Based on the placement of my Currie Antirock swaybar cross tube, it would be a simple mod to add a plate for the bearing block to land.

as far as I know all saginaw boxes use the same size nut, so I assume it would fit

Sweet profit margin, Martha!

Grainger sells the 1" Dayton Bearing block for $56.00
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Flange-Mounted-Ball-Bearing-3FCV3?Pid=search

Bearingon sells what appears to be the exact same unit for $8.38 and $9 flat rate shipping, so for $18.00, it's at your doorstep.
http://www.bearingson.com/category/...ge_bearings_ucft_205-16.asp?page=1&SortType=0

Add the PSC nut and you're ready to fab for around $40, or just order the BD kit for $51+shipping with an assortment of hardware and a 1 stop shop option.

Back