• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering options

BrettM said:
It's been over 6 months, so I could be remembering wrong, but I think PaulS told me in JV last November that he had the WJ setup and took it off after a short while because of terrible Ackerman characteristics.

Ackerman was only terrible when I tried running true hi-steer with an export drivers side kunckle. I ended up not using the hi-steer arm on the drivers side knuckle as it was so bad.
Running normal crossover stering with the WJ stuff worked ok & had good Ackerman. The problem with this was that even with the tierod over the knuckle, the tierod was way too low (the lower WJ steering arms are lower than standard 30 steering arms). The other thing I didn't like was the unequal length draglink & trackbar.

I ran this setup for about a year before doing the WJ stuff & would do it again if I had a 30:

standard

It held-up great to 20 or so Hammer runs.

Paul

I think this will solve my problems ;)

tierods.jpg

Now tell me....if you are using a hydrolic (sp?) set up like that. Will you be getting rid of the drag link all together? Full hydro.
Wouldn't that solve a bunch of problems.... :dunno:
Rick R:sunshine:

Jump This said:
Now tell me....if you are using a hydrolic (sp?) set up like that. Will you be getting rid of the drag link all together? Full hydro.
i believe it will be hydro assist, just in case the hydro goes the way of the doe doe bird, it can still be steered.

Jump This said:

I look at is as the final solution. I am still toying with idea though. Yes you can get rid of the draglink when you go full hydro. I'll probably go single ended ram hydro-assist on this 44 since I don't want to fab too much to make it work but on the 60 it'll probably be full hydro. Since space on my 44 is an issue, I was looking into the possibility of a double ended hydro assist. So far I established it is possible but other than that, I've gotten no further. I really want to keep it street-able (for the time being).

:wave:

No updates to this? I just got a PSC big bore box and high performance pump along with a new pulley. I plan on installing it in the next week or so.

-Mike

Mike L said:
No updates to this? I just got a PSC big bore box and high performance pump along with a new pulley. I plan on installing it in the next week or so.

-Mike

Mike,

I just drove mine for the first time this morning. I'll be bringing it to the M&G tonight if you want to check it all out. It seems to feel fine

-Avery

cracker said:
Mike,

I just drove mine for the first time this morning. I'll be bringing it to the M&G tonight if you want to check it all out. It seems to feel fine

-Avery

Is the ram mounted? Got any pics? I had no plans on doing assist so i went with the HP TC pump and big-bore box.

-Mike

Mike L said:
Is the ram mounted? Got any pics? I had no plans on doing assist so i went with the HP TC pump and big-bore box.

-Mike

No Ram yet but I am ported for it and will add it when I get back from Rubicon.

cracker said:
........ and will add it when I get back from Rubicon.
from what i hear, the way he drives, thats if he has a jeep when he comes back!! mabi the ram will be the starting point for the " ficticious MJ " i have heard about!

oh, the MJ is so last week..

Now he's going the dave taylor "XJ" route..

cal said:

Still :dunno:

but I'll still have an MJ :D

cal said:

that biotch never tells me any thing, i swear, if he wasnt such a hunk i would dump him!! :kissyou:

on the serrious side, how am i supposed to make any plans with the sawzall if he never gives up the vital info? :D

steagall9301 said:
that biotch never tells me any thing, i swear, if he wasnt such a hunk i would dump him!! :kissyou:

on the serrious side, how am i supposed to make any plans with the sawzall if he never gives up the vital info? :D

It'll happen. Give me (and my marriage) time :D

Back