• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Column Frustration

kd5dwy

NAXJA Forum User
I have to say that I'm thoroughly disgusted with the engineer at GM who designed the steering column. It took me at least two hours to get into the thing to fix my blinker self-cancel and headlight high-low beam switch. Apparently I jiggled another wire, so I get to climb back into it to try to get my interior guage lights and exterior marker lights working again. I'm afraid that when I find and fix that issue, it's going to re-create the bad ground that was causing the right blinker indicator to stay lit when the headlights are on. Ugh - fix one thing, break two more. After I finally got everything buttoned back up, one of the blinker self-cancel springs came out and I'm almost back to square one.

Found out that someone wired in (badly) an aftermarket cruise control on this XJ. Isn't that just stranger than a pet duck?

I guess I'd better ask my question - Is there supposed to be a plate with a pin behind the spring plate that causes the wheel to lock when the key isn't in the ignition? Does this help hold in the blinker self-correct springs? Anyone want to make me a good deal on a good tilt column and end my misery?

Back