• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Replacement

virtually all.. standard saginaw box with metric threads... i have a 96 ZJ reman box in mine thats tighter with a dif spool valve... go for a GM w body one

I read in the mod tech forum a while back about a durango box. Shorter lock to lock and a bigger piston if I recall. Apparently pretty much bolt in upgrade.
Find the thread, it had pictures and a great write up. Should have bookmarked...

A Durango box is going to be MUCH harder to find in the boneyards I frequent. Will anything from a '84 - '01 work? Is a ZJ a direct bolt in?

The ZJ is a GREAT upgrade and a DIRECT bolt in ZERO MODS at all out with the old and in with the new

any box will bolt right in. The durango is the only upgrade box, all the others are just a straight replacement box, which may not be a big deal for you.

I'm not looking for an upgrade, I'm looking for easy. I think I remember a ZJ in the local yard that looked well taken care of. The engine and tranny were already gone, so I should have plenty of room to work on it.

Def do the ZJ i was thinking how much better it was today, with the proper tools you can do the swap in and out in an hour

I read that a few of the jeep speed guys were going for the late model f-body "Z" box. Larger piston and faster ratio. From what I understand they are not the easiest to find at a bone yard, but well worth it if you find one.

Its better in that it has teh newer spool valve which makes the steering less boosted. The early xj boxes were very sloppy and the zj box def improves that.

You need a pitman arm puller a socket set.. I did mine on a lift with air tools but if i didnt have that fortuancy it would have been just as easy but probley some busted knukcles... drop the skid plate pull the pitman arm... take the 3 bolts off the box , take the steering shaft bolt out wiggle the box away and do it again in revresre

I don't plan on removing the pitman arm from the one I pull out of the junker. I figure the couple of dollars they charge me for the PA will be well worth not having to remove it twice and installing it once.

What year Durango's? Are they all the same?

Back