• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box or power steering pump?

Try tightening the belt a bit more. If it fixes it, leave it, if it doesn't, set it back to spec and look at replacing the pump and/or box. I'd put my bets on the pump though.

Check the fluid, does it have any glitter, metallic look, or emulsified sludge in it? If it has any metallic appearance to it then you might be due for a pump and a box, or need to carefully flush the contaminated fluid out of whichever parts you don't replace. I know people who have had a pump blow, replaced it, then had the metal debris in the system still from the old pump take out the steering box and the new pump as well. As long as the fluid looks metal free you can probably get away with replacing only the damaged parts.

The only other thing I can think of is I notice when the engine is cold or when I haven't driven it for a bit, on start up, the steering is fine, full power and such at idle and slow speed but when the jeep gets up to temp I guess is when I can't move my steering wheel at those moments

When I replaced the fluid earlier, it had that emulsified look and was a bit black sludgy. But as far as I know its not like that now, ill check in the morning

The only other thing I can think of is I notice when the engine is cold or when I haven't driven it for a bit, on start up, the steering is fine, full power and such at idle and slow speed but when the jeep gets up to temp I guess is when I can't move my steering wheel at those moments

Just to be clear, is it the steering wheel that does not move, or the tire/wheels, or both?

I would consider trying a new belt or belt dressing first:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bel...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Also inspect the old belt very closely for any bad spots at the edges or either side, stress cracking, dry rubber.

Alright I've tightened the belt to 150 and added belt dressing and my god it still screeches lol it did become a little bit easier to turn the steering wheel and tires but not a lot, still have troubles turning at idle and low speeds. Figured that out fully because I turned in to a parking spot and couldn't get my steering wheel and tires straightened so I threw it in to neutral and gave it some gas and was able to turn the steering wheel.
There are no leaks whatsoever, nothing has been kinked, so is this the power steering? If so ill ask again since I have seen anything but is the wj power steering pump stronger?

Mine are all stock, and I have no problems with the XJ power steering pumps. The pump is a lot cheaper than the gear box so I would swap the pump first, but from your posts I can't tell if the gear box, pump or hose & tube assys are bad.

Is there an inline filter on the lines or the ends, maybe plugged up?

The pumps are hard to kill, I think you have a steering box issue.

I drove my 200,000 mile XJ with original pump/box from Salisbury MD to Roanoke VA(350miles) with no fluid in it and after replacing the high pressure hose and bleeding it, its still going just fine today(5 years later and a bunch of hard wheelin trips) but the box is long gone. I replaced it after I filled the pump up and realized I had killed the box.

If you are running 35's and have swapped axles, this would be a good time to add hydro assist.

I'm only going to be at 33" at most, but I'm on 235/75/15 right now lol so Its not like I had big bulky tires lol
Ill try the gear box first then, and if no improvement, ill go pump.
I know the darango box is a good swap but I have recently heard that yj boxes are better because they are fixed ratio??? So question being, do I go darango or yj?

On second thought most PS pumps get replaced due to external leaks and excessive noise first and not due to failure.

I'm only going to be at 33" at most, but I'm on 235/75/15 right now lol so Its not like I had big bulky tires lol
Ill try the gear box first then, and if no improvement, ill go pump.
I know the darango box is a good swap but I have recently heard that yj boxes are better because they are fixed ratio??? So question being, do I go darango or yj?

Personally I don't like the Durango boxes. They are a quicker ratio and at a bit too sensitive on the highway for me. Having said that, I have rebuilt quite a few for people and they seem to like them. Just make sure and do the mods to the gear to allow it to turn far enough.

I've got a 98/99 Durango box in my MJ and like it.

Damn thing is strong enough that I bent the shit out of my stock drag link without realizing it, though. Had the passenger side tire pushed sideways against a rock, tried to turn, put a bit of muscle into it (but didn't think it was that much) and then realized the drag link was badly bent a few minutes later.

Personally I don't like the Durango boxes. They are a quicker ratio and at a bit too sensitive on the highway for me. Having said that, I have rebuilt quite a few for people and they seem to like them. Just make sure and do the mods to the gear to allow it to turn far enough.

whats your opinion then on a yj steering box? I read somewhere that it has a fixed ratio?(havent a clue what that means) is that a better option?

Never really had a complaint about the older XJ boxes with hydro assist.

I am interested in tearing into the YJ boxes and making sure I can get all the parts to rebuild them and to see if they have any advantages. Want to donate a YJ box?

The biggest problem I have is finding good rebuild parts. All the manufacturers seem to have converted to a crappy pitman shaft seal on the newer boxes and they are failing way too often. I am programming my CNC to modify the newer boxes to use a different (better) set of seals.

That is why I want to lay hands on a YJ box to see what seals they use and if they can be enhanced.

Re: Re: steering box or power steering pump?

I like mine off road. Hate it on the street.

I am interested in tearing into the YJ boxes and making sure I can get all the parts to rebuild them and to see if they have any advantages. Want to donate a YJ box?

The biggest problem I have is finding good rebuild parts. All the manufacturers seem to have converted to a crappy pitman shaft seal on the newer boxes and they are failing way too often. I am programming my CNC to modify the newer boxes to use a different (better) set of seals.

That is why I want to lay hands on a YJ box to see what seals they use and if they can be enhanced.

Considered making your own seals?

Older xj boxes? I'm lost now lol I was curious about the yj steering box lol heard it was a fixed ratio and that the Durango and xj and a variable ratio steering? And what mod were you talking about with the Durango box to give it full throw or something of that matter?

Back