• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering after axle swap

First let me say, yellow fits you. :D

I've got the same issue. Just haven't call Roggy yet to get one made.

Let me know how the Waggy pitman works out.

Lincoln said:
First let me say, yellow fits you. :D

I've got the same issue. Just haven't call Roggy yet to get one made.

Let me know how the Waggy pitman works out.
I need one too, and I think Phil does also... maybe we could get some sort of group order together.

when I was looking them up, and did a ton of reading on some FSJ sites, the best deal going is through JC Whitney.

BrettM said:
I need one too, and I think Phil does also... maybe we could get some sort of group order together.

when I was looking them up, and did a ton of reading on some FSJ sites, the best deal going is through JC Whitney.

So you're positive the Waggy pitman will work or do we need to look at custom?

Stock type pitmans are fairly cheap a group deal might not get us much, but would be worth checking into. If I dig real hard I might even be able to dig up some used drop arms. Lifted Waggy's are almost as common as totaled lifted Waggy's around here. :)

My issue is I had my high steer arms double drilled and the drag link had to be out that far so the tie rod behind it would clear the springs. The measurement from the center of the ball joint to the drag link hole is almost exactly the same as the Ford knuckles I was running last year.

I PM'd POPE (WMS) on PBB about a custom arm - asking a. if the job could be done, and b. what an aproximate price would be.

have no responce as of yet..

this weekend i will have a chance to measure a waggy pitman arm and can report back with actual measurements...

get a job

Lincoln said:
So you're positive the Waggy pitman will work or do we need to look at custom?

I know it will go on the steering box, and I know it's longer, I'd guess about 1 inch. However I do suspect that the taper for the DLE may be different than the XJ pitman, but that's relatively easy to fix with a new DLE and/or a reamer.

BrettM said:
I know it will go on the steering box, and I know it's longer, I'd guess about 1 inch. However I do suspect that the taper for the DLE may be different than the XJ pitman, but that's relatively easy to fix with a new DLE and/or a reamer.

i need a 3/4" thru hole on mine...

Ok, got dirty today and measured a few pitman arms laying around my friends yard -

the XJ pitman arm is about 6.25" long (hole center to hole center) and has about 2.5" drop (again center to center)

1977 Grand Wag pitman arm is about 7.25" long and has about a 1/2" drop overall.

My drag link to attachment point to ball joint (center) measures about 7.5" for my factory 1976 Ford f-150 disc brake knuckles (5 bolts hold spindle to knuckle)

I didnt measure the waggy knuckle, and i didnt have an XJ 30 laying around to measure, but it seems that a Waggy 2" drop (2" more drop than factory) pitman arm would be the ideal candidate to regain full lock to lock steering...

incase anyone else was looking for this.

will post up with where i found one and how much $$$

I have a HP dana 44 that I receintly swaped in. Its been narrowed to waggy width. I havent noticed any steering issues with it yet but if theres more turning to be gained, I am intrested.

AARON

I have a WMS pitman with the exact same drop as a stock XJ pitman but 1/2" or 3/4" longer (don't remember which).
I'd be happy to sell it if anyone's interested.

Paul

Back