• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting problem

bigglew

NAXJA Forum User
I am having a problem with getting a spark. I changed out the crankshaft positioning sensor, ignition control module, and the coil and it still doesn't want to start. What other sensors could there be that I am missing.

Thanx

From your profile I take it you have a 89 XJ, is that right?

First off are you sure you are not getting spark or you saying that because it is not starting?

Do you have access to a timing light, prefer one with an inductive pick up, and attach to the spark plug wire, face the light so you can see it from the driver's seat and try to start the vehicle. If it is flashing then that would tell you the CPS is working, if it not flashing then it could be something else.

You could have a bad coil or a bad ingition coil module. You can buy the module an the coil as an assembly.

Also do you have fuel pressure and do you hear the fuel pump running? You may want to the test to confirm you have the correct amount of fuel pressure.

If you have spark you may have a problem with the Crankshaft position sensor also called the sync sensor. It is located inside the distributor and requires the distributor to be removed to change it out.

Why not first try unplugging and replugging the connectors for the igniton control module and the connector coming out of the bottom of the distributor. You may just have a bad connection and replugging the items may solve the problem.

Also before you change out expensive components it may be smart money to have a garage with the test set to check out the XJ. They should be able to tell you in short order why it it not starting.

My dealer charges an hour to diagnose the problem and then that time is applied to the repair. Just make sure you get a mechanic who understands the Renix ignition system. It was only used in 87-90 jeeps.

I am positive I am not getting a spark. I can hear the fuel pump. I was talking to a guy at work today and he also suggested the timing. I will definately give that a try.

bigglew said:
I am positive I am not getting a spark. I can hear the fuel pump. I was talking to a guy at work today and he also suggested the timing. I will definately give that a try.

Make sure you adjusted the cps correctly... and make sure you plugged it in.. :D

check for fuel.

check the ignition coil.

I have put on a NEW Ignition control module and NEW coil along with a NEW crankshaft positioning sensor. No Spark. Getting ready to head home to check timing and everthing else everyone has suggested checking. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanx Guys.

new parts can also be faulty. had it happen try having your ignition module tested at your local auto parts store. if you have an autozone or advanced auto i know they have testing equipment. they might be able to test coils too, don't know for
sure. some people don't know parts can be tested and waste money on the process of elimination.

Back