• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting a NW Chapter membership roster...

Willis

NAXJA Forum User
This will be the "official" membership roster. Those NAXJA Members interested in being part of the formation of the NW Chapter, please click this link and fill out the form. Upon hitting "Send", the information will be e-mailed to me. I will post a list of those that come aboard (unless you wish to remain anonymous).

So far we have:

Steve Williams (me) #463
Hans Huisman (PNW01XJ) #649
Phil Marek (ECKSJAY) #660
Dan Starc #676

We had our "meet and greet" today, but unfortunately we had some last minute cancellations. We had a total of 7 people, 4 members (listed above). That does not set us back at all, we can still proceed full speed ahead. I know there is still enough interest to get our 7 needed members to make this official.

So what I need is for every interested member to click the above link, or if that does not work, post, PM, e-mail the following information:

Full Name
Screen Name
Member #
Address (optional)
Phone # (optional)

Thanks,
Steve

I apologize...I was a kinda last minute cancellation. I am concentrating on trying to keep my back healthy so I don't miss any work. I filled out the form and e-mailed to you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Judd

No problem at all. Health, family and finances come before a social meeting. I did get the 2 form submissions, updates to follow:

Steve Williams (me) #463
Dan Starc #676
Glenn Baker #69
Judd Jones (JJ13) #646

Thanks,
Steve

Cool, just reached 8.

Steve Williams (me) #463
Dan Starc #676
Glenn Baker #69
Judd Jones (JJ13) #646
Ben Remak (Dawg Cherokee) #655
Chris Onnink (railroadjeep) #656

Steve

Just out of curiosity, where are the members of your core group from?

When we had the first organizational meeting of the North Atlantic Chapter, we had people from as far south as Virginia and from as far north as Connecticut. The actual meeting was outside of Philadelphia.

Based on that we signed up for a huge chunk of real estate (Virginia through the Canadian Maritime Provinces, although it was our hope that the Maritimes would eventually spin off into a separate chapter). We've been finding that it is difficult to provide wheeling and other chapter functions for all our chapter members because of the large area and distances involved.

You folks are looking at something similar, based on the states listed in the initial discussions. Now that you have met, I would encourage you to look again at where the people who are going to be active are located, and then decide if you are in a position to undertake a chapter covering four or more LARGE states and divided by a mountain range.

I'm not saying don't do it. But if you undertake a chapter that claims to represent states like Montana and/or Wyoming (for example), then you will have a responsibility to at least make an effort to provide opportunities and services to NAXJA members who live there. NAC is working hard to reach out to the norhtern part of our territory, and it is a struggle. If you're not prepared to do that, you might want to reduce the size of your proposed chapter to the area where the interested members are located, so as to make it more manageable.

This is just thoughts from me, not to be construed as BOD commentary.

Eagle said:
Just out of curiosity, where are the members of your core group from?

When we had the first organizational meeting of the North Atlantic Chapter, we had people from as far south as Virginia and from as far north as Connecticut. The actual meeting was outside of Philadelphia.

Based on that we signed up for a huge chunk of real estate (Virginia through the Canadian Maritime Provinces, although it was our hope that the Maritimes would eventually spin off into a separate chapter). We've been finding that it is difficult to provide wheeling and other chapter functions for all our chapter members because of the large area and distances involved.

You folks are looking at something similar, based on the states listed in the initial discussions. Now that you have met, I would encourage you to look again at where the people who are going to be active are located, and then decide if you are in a position to undertake a chapter covering four or more LARGE states and divided by a mountain range.

I'm not saying don't do it. But if you undertake a chapter that claims to represent states like Montana and/or Wyoming (for example), then you will have a responsibility to at least make an effort to provide opportunities and services to NAXJA members who live there. NAC is working hard to reach out to the norhtern part of our territory, and it is a struggle. If you're not prepared to do that, you might want to reduce the size of your proposed chapter to the area where the interested members are located, so as to make it more manageable.

This is just thoughts from me, not to be construed as BOD commentary.

I don't think we are as far along as that Eagle. Right now, it is mostly from the Puget Sound area. One step at a time IMHO. :)
Glenn

Since it was mentioned....

I don't want to step on any toes, but I think Eagle might have presented a good point (to me at least). I've been slightly concerned about the aspect of the area were going to be including.
Granted, I don't want to limit the chapter to like a Sno-King-Pierce county concept. But I am concerned about including far away states like Montana or even lower Oregon and Idaho, purely from that standpoint that those member would be so very far from most of us and meetings/trail runs/wrenching, etc.
Thus, trying to include everyone will be tough and might put a strain on trying to include everyone as we are supposed to.
I don't want to rustle any feathers, this was just my big concern.

Chris

Glenn Baker said:
Right now, it is mostly from the Puget Sound area.

That's my point. If you look at the chapter forums index page, the sub-title for this forum indicates "Wa, OR, ID, Mont, ?"

So from this perspective, it appears a small group from the Puget Sound area is contemplating establishing a chapter encompassing at least four large states. All I am suggesting is that, unless you have constituents in all those states who support forming the chapter (not A chapter, but THIS chapter), it might be more appropriate to think of yourselves as the future Puget Sound Chapter and go with what you've got.

It can sound like a very attractive siren song to start up a chapter that covers a big area, and you can have the best of intentions in so doing. When we founded NAC I was just one of the guys who said "Oh, hell yeah, where do I sign?" I wasn't on the original BOD and had no intention of running for office.

Now I am chapter president and I am finding it's incredibly difficult to try to serve such a large area. And this is for a group that had founders show up from probably five or six different states.

All I'm suggesting is that you take a realistic look at who is the core group and where you all live, and whether you legitimately are (or even want to be) representative of an area covering all the aforementioned states.

As I said in my previous post, I'm not jumping in here as a Director to dump cold water on your fledgling chapter. This is just personal comments from one who has gone where you are going. Somewhere, someone floated the notion that you wanted to include a bunch of states. If that's not correct, then we just need to be sure everyone is on the same page.

Eagle said:
That's my point. If you look at the chapter forums index page, the sub-title for this forum indicates "Wa, OR, ID, Mont, ?"

So from this perspective, it appears a small group from the Puget Sound area is contemplating establishing a chapter encompassing at least four large states. All I am suggesting is that, unless you have constituents in all those states who support forming the chapter (not A chapter, but THIS chapter), it might be more appropriate to think of yourselves as the future Puget Sound Chapter and go with what you've got.

It can sound like a very attractive siren song to start up a chapter that covers a big area, and you can have the best of intentions in so doing. When we founded NAC I was just one of the guys who said "Oh, hell yeah, where do I sign?" I wasn't on the original BOD and had no intention of running for office.

Now I am chapter president and I am finding it's incredibly difficult to try to serve such a large area. And this is for a group that had founders show up from probably five or six different states.

All I'm suggesting is that you take a realistic look at who is the core group and where you all live, and whether you legitimately are (or even want to be) representative of an area covering all the aforementioned states.

As I said in my previous post, I'm not jumping in here as a Director to dump cold water on your fledgling chapter. This is just personal comments from one who has gone where you are going. Somewhere, someone floated the notion that you wanted to include a bunch of states. If that's not correct, then we just need to be sure everyone is on the same page.

I hear you, and agree. I think the title may not indicate much, as it was put there when the forum was first created..... not to dictate that that *would* be the area, but rather to not leave anybody out if the interest was there. :)

I imagine the actual chapter are would be significantly smaller..... I think first we need to get it a little more solid as to who are the people are in that want to make this happen, and what we want to do. That would probably be the best indicator of the area we may or may not cover. As it stands, it looks to be mostly Western Wa... though there may be a few from over the hill. :eek:
Glenn

Way out here

Yes we are here in montana 2 of us yes it is a long way to Wa. and no I cant make it to every run in Id. or Wa but I want to belong some where. Here in large a$$ Mt. we dont have the great 4wheeling they have in other places (mostly due to bunny huggers) so we have to travel to injoy our sport so I cant make it every time dont include me but dont forget me as well hack Ill drive to Moab 3 times a year why not Washinton twice .What Iam saying is with olny 2 members in my large state where do we stand in this club I WANT TO WHEEL WITH OTHER XJS NOT BRONCOS...:mad: so at least invite me..Please..

So far, the majority of us are in Puget Sound, Glenn and Hans are a bit farther North, Judd is about 2 hours South (45min North of Portland). Our initial interest post included those from Boise, ID, and Eastern WA and OR. I've been wheeling with a couple that drove from Hermiston, Oregon (Eastern OR) to Tillamook State Forest ([aka TSF] 1 hour West of Portland) just for a day of wheeling. I by no means want to exclude anyone from this Chapter, but do agree that the boarders do need to be established for our region.

The Pacific NorthWest is commonly known as WA, OR, and ID. I do agree that it would not be realistic for those living in Boise, or Eastern WA and OR to come West for a meeting or wrenching party, but it is a possibility for those to want to make the trip to do some wheeling. I also know that those folks may have the desire to be part of something a little more intimate than NAXJA as a whole.

I would not really want to call ourselves the Puget Sound Chapter because I want to at least include those like Judd, or folks in Portland. I used to wheel TSF, and loved it. When trips are planned there, I want to be part of them.

So on that note, our first order of business should be to decide our boundaries. Do we want to call ourselves the NW Chapter, and include WA, OR, and ID? Or do we want to call ourselves the Cascade Chapter? To include those within the Cascade Mountain Range and somewhat to the East and West of the mountains? Most of the wheeling in WA is within the Cascades, and it would not really stretch as far as Spokane or Hermiston, and definitely not ID. It would be a more manageable and realistic group.

What do you all think? If my opinion count for anything, I'm leaning toward the Cascade Chapter.

Steve

P.S. We are up to 9!

Steve Williams (me) #463
Dan Starc #676
Glenn Baker #69
Judd Jones (JJ13) #646
Ben Remak (Dawg Cherokee) #655
Chris Onnink (railroadjeep) #656
Michael Lee (2xtreme) #534

Re: Way out here

a4x4freak said:
Yes we are here in montana 2 of us yes it is a long way to Wa. and no I cant make it to every run in Id. or Wa but I want to belong some where. Here in large a$$ Mt. we dont have the great 4wheeling they have in other places (mostly due to bunny huggers) so we have to travel to injoy our sport so I cant make it every time dont include me but dont forget me as well hack Ill drive to Moab 3 times a year why not Washinton twice .What Iam saying is with olny 2 members in my large state where do we stand in this club I WANT TO WHEEL WITH OTHER XJS NOT BRONCOS...:mad: so at least invite me..Please..

You are absolutely invited, infact, I'd say you are probably invited to every chapter NAXJA has. However, I am sure the NAC would not realistically think you'd be an actively participating member if you were to start posting there.

No matter what we decide to call ourselves, please believe, you are invited to every meeting, BBQ, and wheeling trip we plan. You will not be excluded. Just let us know before you leave, so if you don't make it, we can send a search party :D

I think what Eagle is getting at, is that by limiting the size of the chapter boundaries, we don't have to cater to your needs (to put it bluntly). If our chapter were to include MT, even-though it may be very difficult, we would have to take into consideration your location and possibly meet in Walla Walla or something. With a chapter such as a Cascade Chapter, nobody would feel bad that all of our meetings take place West of the Cascades, maybe somewhere between Seattle and Portland to suit the masses.

Steve

Re: Re: Way out here

Willis said:
I think what Eagle is getting at, is that by limiting the size of the chapter boundaries, we don't have to cater to your needs (to put it bluntly). If our chapter were to include MT, even-though it may be very difficult, we would have to take into consideration your location and possibly meet in Walla Walla or something. With a chapter such as a Cascade Chapter, nobody would feel bad that all of our meetings take place West of the Cascades, maybe somewhere between Seattle and Portland to suit the masses.

Steve

That is essentially my point. As NAC chapter president, I feel I should at least try to show up for as many chapter events/functions as possible -- and with a territory that covers from the Mason-Dixon line north into Canada and west to Lake Erie, that can be prohibitive. The other problem is that, having "laid claim" to those NAXJA members who live in all those states, we as a chapter now have a moral obligation to try to make things happen for everyone. It's not as simple as just saying "You're invited." That certainly holds true -- and it also applies to any NAXJA member or guest from anywhere in the country.

The problem is that people from Maine can't realistically make it to a weekend event at Paragon in Pennsylvania. I'm in Connecticut -- Paragon is 4 hours west of me, and Bass Harbor, Maine, is 9 hours northeast of me. Cut out a little overlap and Bass Harbor is still 12 hours from Paragon -- that doesn't leave much of the weekend for wheeling. And Bass Harbor is only halfway up into Maine.

So you can see that issue. I won't call it a "problem," because if it is recognized and addressed it won't become a problem. Are XJers in Montana and Wyoming members as much as those in Washington, Connecticut, or Pennsylvania? You bet! The question is what best suits the needs of those members.

If the two members in Montana want to belong to the "Cascade Chapter" (or "Pacific Northwest Chapter" or whatever you decide to call it), that's fine with me. But if all the activities are focused around Seattle -- which is what's going to happen because of where the people are, just as most of the NAC activity gravitates to Paragon and Rausch Creek off-road parks in PA), then even as nominal members of that chapter the Montana folks get to feel left out.

I don't know if there are enough people/members to make it happen, or sufficient interest, but it just seems to me that geography sort of suggests that Montana, Wyoming, maybe Utah and maybe even the Dakotas could/should be a different chapter.

I don't want to make it seem that I know the answer. I just hope to ensure that the question is properly considered, because it is a continuing issue in my chapter.

Cascade seems like it would make a little more sense. One other thing I kicked around when I went to everyone about starting a board was how neat it would be for a Chapter to host a BOTW series by wheeling ID, OR, and WA. Hosting duties could be performed by the 'locals' in the Chapter who are near the major wheeling areas. This is just one aspect though...

Realistically our regions (based on feedback on my other posts) are mostly clustered around Portland, Boise, and Seattle. I know for a central location an annual meeting someplace like TSF would probably be do-able by everyone (if they're interested in equal distance driving). Like others have said, some people are willing to drive several hours for some decent wheeling. Personally I'd spend my Summer weekends (and the occasional 3-day) driving out to wheel 2 days and camp a night or something. That's my personal preference. :) Driving out for the day is fun but honestly some of the areas get a little old if you're there every weekend. There are only so many trails that one can run. I know when I hit a trail and I pass it I don't really have a burning desire to go there again. Anyway. :D

P.S. Eagle, thanks greatly for the input. Just want you to know it's appreciated. :)

I think that the most manageable area, and covering the most people, without adding too much burden to anyone is to include WA, OR and ID, primarily Seattle, Portland, and Boise. And maybe Vancouver CA (lots of great wheeling and people also).

I think that anything outside of that we would love to have join, but trying to set up events and meetings to specifically include would be too much of a burden on the rest of the group.

My thoughts,
Michael

Welcome aboard. I live just across the line. :)

XJourney said:
Welcome aboard. I live just across the line. :)

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time.
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine,
I walk the line

I find it very, very easy to be true
I find myself alone when each day is through
Yes, I'll admit I'm a fool for you
Because you're mine,
I walk the line

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night