• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Problem

After fiddling with it for a little while it certainly seems like the ingnition switch but it sure is doing some crazy shit.

I pulled the relay out to check it. Seems fine. Tested all the terminals for the relay and they're fine. Put the relay back in and it wouldn't start at all. Took it back out and put it back in and it started but won't cut off!

Yeah, I started it, then turned the key back and removed it and she's still running. Had to pull the ign fuse to turn it off.

How the hell!?

Alright, just got finished replaceing the ignition switch. What a pain in the ass!

Fixed absolutely nothing. Replaced the relay with a brand shiney new one. Fixed nothing. Currently it grinds when I start it from the key (but not when I start it at the starter) and wont cut off till I pull a fuse. Plus it killed my battery overnight. Something is shorted somewhere... where?

I fixed the grinding. Bad ground on the starter relay.

Now, why wont I cut off when I turn the key off? Somethings getting electricity when its not supposed to. Why!?

And.... the culprit was....

2011-09-18_17-29-51_132.jpg

I had a spare laying around.

I'll pass on the cookie if you have a cold Coors.

It sounds like the starter gear isn't fully engaging/disengaging at random times, when it is pushed out to mate-up with the flex plate gearing.

Could there be a ignition wiring short near the starter, or maybe a really small section of gearing worn out on on your flex plate that would randomly cause the problem? I'd double check all the easy stuff first before dumping more dollars on it.

Glad to hear you finally found the problem, and I feel your pain regarding the long-a$$ trouble-shooting effort to find it. Jeep wiring, and electrical components seem to be super-sensitive to heat, and unforgiving when it comes to simple shorts/grounding issues.

It might be a good idea to give the entire engine bay a good once-over checking for anything else that might haunt you down the road, or on the trail.

Last edited:
This would be so much easier if I could physically put the jeep in the thread.
Hilarious!

Dude don't feel bad. I've been having intermittent starter problems for months. I figured out if I whack the starter with my 2" hitch, and then turn the key it starts up. Been dealing with it until I get time to fix it. I even checked the voltage... But, sweet right? It's the starter for sure then right?

Wrong. I buy a new starter and replace it just this afternoon and sure enough, no start. On a lark I wiggle the shifter and it starts. Then I shut it down, wiggle the shifter and it doesn't start. Wash, rinse, repeat and I think it was the neutral safety switch the whole time. Here we go again.

Certainly the nss.

Finding a bad ground on one little wire was a major pain. Then trouble shoot the fact that it wont turn off!

Nonstop gets a cookie and a coors.

Back