• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Started my rear fenders today

DanMan2k06 said:
Hmmm plasma on 18 gauge metal? Sounds like warpage. Curious to see how this turns out.

no way! move fast enough and you get less warpage than a jigsaw. it lets you move fast enough that only the edge really heats up. they're AWESOME!

Oh yea they're definately one of the coolest tools to have around, although after dabbling around with bodywork I dunno how much warpage they would produce. I prefer a cutoff wheel and compressed air to cool any kind of sheet metal. Anything thicker than 16 gauge and I get out the torch :) I guess in this scene slight warping doesn't really matter, but on a nicely shaved tailgate or something of that nature I stay far away from heat.

well, if that works for you, that's fine. it works on stuff where all you need is a straight line. plasma allows you to make tight corners, and all that good stuff, where a cutoff wheel can't do the tight turns..

my uni body rails are getting plated front to back, and its getting a full cage with many body tie ins. It should hold up fine. I hope

If you dont have all that to work with is there any different ways to trim your rear fenders past pinch weld ? Like strong rivets ? Anything ?

weld it back together!

tayman said:
weld it back together!

What do you do if you cant do that. Are there any other ways. Not every one can weld or have the means to get it welded. Is there any other options ????

You can take it to a machine shop or metal working shop and have them weld it. Or just do like I did and marry into a family whre your father in law has 3 welders and your brother in law has a welder and can weld just about anything...:D

yeah, not welding it's a tough one... like XJRunner said, I guess you COULD rivet it... but it wouldn't be pretty.

I am not trying to look pretty ? Just one more option right ? I really dont think i would like it if someone called my XJ pretty would you ? Does the trail care if its pretty ? Is there any other reason not to do this ? You can always put molding over it right or flares.

lol, good point. I see no reason why not to do it? as long as you don't care about seeing the rivots, I'd say go for it. Just make sure they're strong.

Back