• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Standard Moab Equip

DUNESXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well Here it is:
I'm goin to Moab in July with Lastman and I have some idea of other mods I wanna "add" to my jeep parts collection before I take the trip down there. Basically, I wanna see what, those of you who have been there more than once, think the best/most useful/life-saving jeep mods are.

Rock Sliders?
Lockers?
on-board air?
etc...

I knew it got hot there but really? I've mtn biked in the spring there before and it was warm. But a new radiator?

The IC avoids going down after May and Before Oct.

I run a little warm, and I wouldnt go down after June without one.
If it doesnt run all the little things you put on are worthless.

I put in a 2-core and was out there in late july last year. She didn't get any hotter then normal.

That's to say that she almost always runs a little warm in 4L. I think that I need a better water pump.

I'd say the most "life saving mod" in Moab in July would be A/C - SMOKIN' HOT down there in July. Miserable. I'm sure it'll be a fun trip for you though anyway...

yakinaked said:
I'd say the most "life saving mod" in Moab in July would be A/C - SMOKIN' HOT down there in July. Miserable. I'm sure it'll be a fun trip for you though anyway...

A/C and lots of nice cold water. I've never had any problems keeping my motor cool in summer, but I try to avoid Moab in summer. It really is HOT.

I can see a single row radiator having problems......two maybe? I run a three row, so I don't really worry about it.

It'd be nice to know two things in order to help:

1) How your rig is currently equipped.
2) What kind of trails (difficulty rating) do you intend to run.

The obvious have already been pointed out as far as equipment: Sliders, skids, front and rear tow hooks, strap, etc. Lockers depend on the trail but most intermediate to moderate trails can be done out there with out them - but a rear locker is beneficial.

Keep in mind that unless you trailer your rig out there, you're gonna give your XJ a pretty good work out just getting over Vail pass on the way. The daily flatlander use may not have presented any concerns recently, but after the pass run, it may develop other issues - hense the other poster's concern about the cooling system.

Once in Moab, keeping both you and your rig cool in 120 degree heat is pretty important. You may not have heat issues here in Colorado, but Utah is a whole different animal - the average daily high temp in July is 98 degrees. You gotta remember that many trails out there are sand/rock and reflect the heat back up from the ground - and the canyon walls do the same - you'll feel like you're driving thru a brick oven in July - the reflected heat is always hotter than the ambient temperature. Definitely check the condition of your radiator by draining a bit of coolant so you can inspect the top few rows of the core - look for calcium build up to see if there's a possibility your radiator might be restricted. Be sure you have a way to override the aux. fan to run manually as a cooling back up plan. Seriously consider installing some hood vents - they do help. If you question the condition of your water pump, save yourself the headache and swap it out before - or at least pack one to go with. Pack coolant, the pre-mixed kind. Between you and the other rigs, each should carry a gallon to share with anyone that might need it.

Always bring lots of water - more than you think you'll need. I was shocked at how much water I drank the one time I went out there in mid July (never again). Hats/ball cap/towel to put over your head if you end up having to be out of the shade for any length of time.

As far as equipment, I'd make sure someone in the group has a puncture repair kit. Moab likes to eat stock steering parts, so spares for that are always a good idea as are spare front shafts, and u-joints for the drive shafts. A spare set of radiator hoses and a serp. belt are a good idea too. Check the fluid levels in all locations and particularly in the transmission and t-case.

Have a blast and stay cool! :thumbup:

YELLAHEEP said:
It'd be nice to know two things in order to help:

1) How your rig is currently equipped.
2) What kind of trails (difficulty rating) do you intend to run.

The obvious have already been pointed out as far as equipment: Sliders, skids, front and rear tow hooks, strap, etc. Lockers depend on the trail but most intermediate to moderate trails can be done out there with out them - but a rear locker is beneficial.

Keep in mind that unless you trailer your rig out there, you're gonna give your XJ a pretty good work out just getting over Vail pass on the way. The daily flatlander use may not have presented any concerns recently, but after the pass run, it may develop other issues - hense the other poster's concern about the cooling system.

Once in Moab, keeping both you and your rig cool in 120 degree heat is pretty important. You may not have heat issues here in Colorado, but Utah is a whole different animal - the average daily high temp in July is 98 degrees. You gotta remember that many trails out there are sand/rock and reflect the heat back up from the ground - and the canyon walls do the same - you'll feel like you're driving thru a brick oven in July - the reflected heat is always hotter than the ambient temperature. Definitely check the condition of your radiator by draining a bit of coolant so you can inspect the top few rows of the core - look for calcium build up to see if there's a possibility your radiator might be restricted. Be sure you have a way to override the aux. fan to run manually as a cooling back up plan. Seriously consider installing some hood vents - they do help. If you question the condition of your water pump, save yourself the headache and swap it out before - or at least pack one to go with. Pack coolant, the pre-mixed kind. Between you and the other rigs, each should carry a gallon to share with anyone that might need it.

Always bring lots of water - more than you think you'll need. I was shocked at how much water I drank the one time I went out there in mid July (never again). Hats/ball cap/towel to put over your head if you end up having to be out of the shade for any length of time.

As far as equipment, I'd make sure someone in the group has a puncture repair kit. Moab likes to eat stock steering parts, so spares for that are always a good idea as are spare front shafts, and u-joints for the drive shafts. A spare set of radiator hoses and a serp. belt are a good idea too. Check the fluid levels in all locations and particularly in the transmission and t-case.

Have a blast and stay cool! :thumbup:

Thanks Yellaheep and everyone else! My group and I will be having a meeting soon to go over alot of this stuff.

Back