• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SS Brake Lines SUCK!

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Any one blow one out b4? I was going down the HWY in front of the shop with a friend to see what the driveline was like today. My friends said hey turn here there is a killer hill back there. So I stomped on the brake adn it started to slow and then my foot hit the floor. I was like oh shit no brakes! A downshift and did a u-turn and went back. I noticed a kink on the braded stainlees line the other day but did not think anything about it. Well I will now! I order a YJ line from the part store as soon as I discovered it was teh front right line. So anyone have them break b4?

ive gone through quite a few sets. The only SS brake lines that I have not broken though are the Earls, there not DOT approved, but they're pressure tested to 4000psi and Ive had them for 1 1/2 w/ no problems

-Red

earls ss brake lines are what alot of high hp drag racers use on their rigs. i mean its not like a cop is gona pull you over about your brake lines. but if you got state inspections i dont know what to tell ya.

I've seen many of them brake. Don't remember ever seeing an OEM line brake. I wouldn't run them.......it's hard to beat a stock style brake line that's long enough.

useless said:
Earls are unbreakable.

I've got Earls lines on mine. I've had not trouble with the fronts, but the rear line pulled out of the axle-side fitting. And yes, there was sufficient slack, I think it must've caught an obstacle.

Ok next question. When they do break is there a way to get the brakes back? I had no breaks at all! Why didn't the rears kick in? It made for a fun trip back to the shop!

out of adjustment rear or bad master cyl? the back should work but they dont supply near as much stopping power as the front. When I had rear drums I had to manually adjust them once a month or so cause my adjusters never seemed to work right. Are you sure you didnt PO a neighbor? Someone fixxed your brakes for you?

yellowxj said:
out of adjustment rear or bad master cyl? the back should work but they dont supply near as much stopping power as the front. When I had rear drums I had to manually adjust them once a month or so cause my adjusters never seemed to work right. Are you sure you didnt PO a neighbor? Someone fixxed your brakes for you?

No the XJ lives in a shop all alone under lock and key! As for the rear not grabbing We just finised bleading them the day b4. When I put the new line on today I'll blead all around. I don't think the MC is bad. What about the proprtioning vavle? I think that is what it is called. It is under the MC and has a wire pluged into it!

Ghost said:
Ok next question. When they do break is there a way to get the brakes back? I had no breaks at all! Why didn't the rears kick in? It made for a fun trip back to the shop!

When Mine gave way Alice was driving and as soon as she got to the tip of the obstacle (stopping was not an option) we put a vise grip on teh broke line and crimped down hard. we finished the day and drove it back to camp with 3 good brakes. Went to deset rat and picked up another set next day before heading out to CALI

I do have to say overall Ive been super happy with them. these where 5" longer than yj brake lines. So the YJ lines would ahve been way too short to get teh job done.

the only problems with them are they dont like being kinked and the dont stretch at all.

I ran them for 4 years on the XJ before sold and the new owner still has em on now so its been 6 years

I agree with Richard, its pretty hard to beat rubber lines. The ss ones seem to pull out pretty easy where the rubbers just stretch. If the YJ lines are too short use k10 ones they are super long.

Broke one in my old Toyota. Doing 55mph, light turned red, jump on the pedal and booooooom. Brake line blew and I kept going. Lucky for me i was wearing my huggies (spl?) and didn't make to big of a mess :greensmok

Gary E said:
I agree with Richard, its pretty hard to beat rubber lines. The ss ones seem to pull out pretty easy where the rubbers just stretch. If the YJ lines are too short use k10 ones they are super long.

What style of K10? 73-80, 81-87, 88- ?? Front or rear?

I notice the other night parting out a rig that a 73 ford F150 has a super long rear line that would work on the rear of an XJ with a small amount of tweaking.

I am not really sure I think I said around a 77 k10, but I had a spare brake line there to make sure the fittings all matched up.

FYI a quick trail fix if no one has an extra line...

put a fold in the hard line pinching it off using two hammers. I have done that before and it allows you to maintain some braking to get you hom somewhat safely. just no panic braking. especially if its a ront line that ripped...

I just busted a SS brake line of my own. I have the Skyjacker lines and the passenger side kinked right next to the caliper fitting and then it was done. I went to a local performance shop and I am getting a new stainless line for about 20 bucks. Pretty good price IMO, mostly since the cheapest price I found on the net was 60 cause you can't buy them by sides. Only thing that sucks is now I will not have a vehicle till at least tuesday... Guess I should finish up my project on my other car so I can have a back up ride.

Back