• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SRT-10 Dana 60 Rear Axle ???

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know much about these axles? Such as tube thickness, differential (ie. selectable locker like in J8), and diameter? Has anyone considered using one of these axles in a axle build??

Curious.

:banghead:

I sure everyone knows the vehicle, but maybe I should add it. It comes out of a '02 - '05 Ram 1500 SRT-10. The sport truck with the V-10 Viper engine. Sounds like a good solid axle, but not certain how good it would do on the trail.

A D60 is essentially a D60...it would seem that it would be plenty for an XJ either way and could be beefed with bigger shafts, locker, etc, unless Chrysler got crazy like they did wit the aluminum D44 in the ZJ.

Might consider looking for a D60 intended for the Super Track Pack B and E Body Mopars too, those should be fairly close to the size needed for an XJ or MJ and will also have the 5x4 1/2" bolt pattern too.

I thought the aluminum D44 center section was the same as what the Vette's and Vipers used?

Never heard of it. Probably 2 reasons (well, 1 really)
Rarity and Cost. Same thing.
If you found one at a good price, it'd probably do just great under an XJ for all but the most ridiculous scenarios.

Its a semi-float 35 spline C-clip axle. The '02-'04's come with 4.10's from factory and the '05-'06 are 4.56's there is also not much aftermarket for them. Most of the Srt guys switch them out for standard full float 60's.

Just the same - 35 splines, came OEM under a full size driven by an SRT-10. Under an XJ... you shouldn't be able to break it under good Newtonian conditions.

Thank you SYeager. That was the answer I was looking for. I was curious about the aftermarket support (whether it is similar to the Rubicon D44). I came across one at a good price and was considering it in an application. It is a full-width axle but I was going to have it narrowed (still within an acceptable price). The advantage I was looking at is it a late model 60, under a Dodge vehicle, with disk brakes and a limited slip. So If I needed any parts for the axle I could just look up the model and year and find the relevant parts.

I was mainly concerned about the tube thickness and what kind of differential is in it.

Thanks for the input.

Might consider looking for a D60 intended for the Super Track Pack B and E Body Mopars too, those should be fairly close to the size needed for an XJ or MJ and will also have the 5x4 1/2" bolt pattern too.

I thought the aluminum D44 center section was the same as what the Vette's and Vipers used?

The guy who geared my buddys axles has one of theses. they are very rare and very expensive. But awesome because they are about the correct width for an XJ.

A D60 is essentially a D60...it would seem that it would be plenty for an XJ either way and could be beefed with bigger shafts, locker, etc, unless Chrysler got crazy like they did wit the aluminum D44 in the ZJ.
Aluminum D44? how did that work out? doesn't really seem like a good idea

An aluminum D44 was used in the Grand Cherokee. From what I understand it was a POS. As for the D44 in the rear of the Corvettes, I have not heard any complaints. I think it depends on the hp/weight ratio of the vehicle and what it is used for. The Corvette and the Viper are fairly light and use IRS. The IRS D44 aluminum center section on the Corvette and Viper is rather strong because the housing does not have the stress from the axle tubes, thus smaller and stronger. A lighter vehicle with different rear axle architecture. However, add the axle tubes (as on the Grand Cherokee), more vehicle weight and different use (street rod vs. SUV)? Well, that is another story.

As for me, I already have a standard FF D60 sitting in the garage. I believe it came out of an International Scout, but it is the right width: 60" WMS to WMS. The tubes are a little thin, only .25", but I plan on adding strength with a truss (Treks Offroad) tying the center section to the tubes (I will post some pictures soon). This axle is going under my XJ. I was considering the D60 out of the SRT-10 for my TJ because I believe it has 3/8" tubes and factory support for parts (except for narrowing the axle & shafts to 60" to fit under the TJ) along with it being out of a Dodge. I liked the idea of saying, "And it has a rear axle from a SRT-10 under it."

Now it looks like I will take a different route.

Currie Enterprises Rock Jock 60 anyone?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Back