• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spring under axle XJ

uspsamaster

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of using a MJ 44 in the back of my XJ. As most here know the MJ is spring under axle. I was wondering about keeping it under as my XJ has a lot of axle wrap and spring under should help. The down side is I will need more arch from the springs in order to have the same lift. I am thinking bastard pack so I cam play with the arch quite a bit. I was also wondering if I put the rear spring hangers on the back bumper in order to get greater length to negate the greater arch. Has any one on here done this that can chime in with there results? Is there any big reason not to?

you would need some giant springs to get it right, or remount everything lower. to put it in perspective, sith stock springs, you would lower it: spring pack height+spring perch height+axle tube diameter (guessing around 4.5 inches probably more) so for 2 inches of lift you would need a 7inch lift spring.

building a stiffer spring pack and/or adding a traction bar would much more beneficial (IMO)

A SOA kit for a YJ/CJ nets 5.5" of lift with the same axle tube size. That's how much arch you'd have to pick up just to get back to stock going the other way in an XJ.

Another thing: The MJ and XJ perches are not only on different sides of the axle, they're also a different distance apart,. Even if you go SUA on the XJ, you still have to move the spring perches.

I am thinking of using a MJ 44 in the back of my XJ. As most here know the MJ is spring under axle. I was wondering about keeping it under as my XJ has a lot of axle wrap and spring under should help. The down side is I will need more arch from the springs in order to have the same lift. I am thinking bastard pack so I cam play with the arch quite a bit. I was also wondering if I put the rear spring hangers on the back bumper in order to get greater length to negate the greater arch. Has any one on here done this that can chime in with there results? Is there any big reason not to?

Putting the spring hanger on the back bumper would be a bad Idea. They aren't very strong. You could get a set of HDOR shackle relocation brackets which should allow you to run an MJ spring.

the spring under axel wont be bolt in. the perch widths are not the same.

so youll have treweld perches anyway.

Ah, good call totally forgot about that. We were just talking about that over the weekend.

So the general consensus is no. The preferred method is a traction bar. I know I would have to do allot more beefing up, to do what I was asking, to put the shackles on the back bumper and was thinking of tying it in the same as the class III hitch as well as the standard bumper mounts as i would have to do the same for use as recovery point anyway. I had also thought about in boading the springs and put them on the "frame rails" (I know its a unit-body but everyone who I want to reply knows what I am talking about) that would increase flex (at the cost of stability, but how much? would retaining the rear sway bar with disconnects or one of the currie sway bars help ) that would reduce the amount of arch in order to get the 5 or so inches of lift I am after. However it sounds like that will be moved back on my wheeling to do list and see how it is with the lift springs under it.

If I was going to put the mj44 under my xj I'd definitely grab a set of hd spring perches from m.o.r.e. or a similar company. Seems like welding a couple perches would be much easier and less costly. As for the axle wrap if you're still on the stock drive shaft try a zj front ds in the rear and a t case drop couldn't hurt.

Back