• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Recommendations

I tried researching springs for a while .. tough business. Currently using RC 4-1/2" coils in the front and RE 3-1/2" packs with adjustable shackles in the rear. It's much firmer than a stock suspension but never harsh.

no need for one if you have decent shocks and drive with a brain

ya .. provided all goes well. I have an 86 without sway bars. However, since there are more cars than drivers on the road, I want a sway bar when things get stupid. Takes the edge off the terror during emergency maneuvers or surprises like an unmarked decreasing radius corner.

ya .. provided all goes well. I have an 86 without sway bars. However, since there are more cars than drivers on the road, I want a sway bar when things get stupid. Takes the edge off the terror during emergency maneuvers or surprises like an unmarked decreasing radius corner.

i have no swaybars. but i totaly agree on this one. it can be a handfull at times...

Bronze.

Disagree.

You could be running triple bypasses, and I still think a sway bar would be beneficial.

Is it absolutely necessary, no. I ran without one for a year or two, but personally I prefer driving on road connected. With a high spring rate, and good shocks I don't anticipate a lot of sway on the road, but I'll still be running the front sway bar for daily driving.

I removed mine at first even with the heavy BDS springs and 255/70 shocks. Something just said to me to put it back and after I did I liked it much better.

Dave

Someone told me that Deaver springs are made by a local company here in Portland.
Portland spring? or something like that, I would buy from them directly, I can ask my buddy what company it was.

long arms are where its at, that and shackle relocation out back, i have RE 5.5 rears and their shackles, and rock krawler 5.5s from a tj,

Id say both net a taller lift than 5.5 though,

not sure about shorter lifts though, lots of companys change their quility with size

Have you gotten your leafs yet, Josh?

What are you planning on doing with your shackle? Relocation brackets?
They were supposed to be here last week but I have not seen them yet, I will call tomorrow. I ran the shackle relocation brackets before and they worked great but I think they are a little hoaky and they are going to give me too much lift. They are great if you don't do fab work but if you can make custom shackle mounts I think it is a better option. I am going to run 1 inch lift boomerang shackles and just bolt them in, nice and simple!

Dustin,
Just going to mention this while this tread has all sorts of other great information in it.

I agree with your concerns/comments about shackle relocation, I don't like the way they hang down either.

The other thing that I was interested in was moving my rear axle back a little (maybe 1/2 to 1 inch).

I was considering moving my front mounts forward and running a full size dodge leaf set with a boomerang shackle or custom rear shackle mount in the rear. Should net about 4-4.5" of lift with higher spring load and much longer springs for a more consistent longer flex to them (obviously you could totally customize them by adding or removing leafs also).

Absolutely not a "bolt on" type rear spring pack, but I just thought it would be worth putting the information in this thread. I believe there are others that have done this also here on Naxja with some searching.

Michael

Dustin,

After many bastard-pack combinations of RE and Rusty's. I'm running a dodge van main-leaf plus the full RE 4.5 pack with the ends cut off and RE boomerang shackles. It's perfect with all the gear loaded. I thought it was slightly stiff for unloaded DD duties but I just added some new adjustable shocks out back and it rides awesome now and the shackle angle is around 40 degrees. I thought about Deavers as well but the axle-wrap with my 5-speed would have been out of control. My current bastard-pack seems to keep the axle-wrap at bey. I'd run a super stiff rear spring if it meant I didn't have to deal with axle-wrap, it's my pet peeve.

Still have yet to pull the trigger on springs...

I'm 90% sold on the BDS 4.5" front coils.

I just can't make up my mind on rear leafs. I was ready to go the BOR/Alcan route, but the shortest variety they come in is 4". This would put my rear lift height at ~5.5" (too tall) after a shackle (plus they tend to run higher than advertised). Josh have you got yours installed, any insight on lift height?

So now I'm considering the BDS 004209 3" pack. Add in a shackle and the rear should be sitting right around 4.5". My concern with these is the length of the spring. I want them to be a tad longer than stock to account for the shackle angle (I refuse to run relocation brackets). BDS says these springs are 48.625" eye to eye. Anyone know what length stock packs are?

Then again, the $100 price on the RE3.5" packs are tempting.

Decisions...

Back