• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring over on an XJ... well... kinda

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, here's the plan. As ya'll know, Cherokees have a stock S.O.A. in the rear. So I got to usin my kidneys and thought that maybe using stock YJ springs (factory S.U.A.) in the rear of my cherokee will give me...o i don't know... like 5-7 inches or so and then i can buy coil springs which are pretty cheap. Say this does work, do ya'll think I would have problems with spring or axle wrap or does that just have to do with the welds on the axle with the SOA conversion?

it won't work...

pretty sure yj springs are too short

90whitexj said:
Does that mean there really is headlight oil?????

of course theres not headlight oil, what are you stupid or something. now there is headlight fluid.

it depends if you have pre97 or not. if it is the older model it is pretty pricey. the reason being is because the resevoir on the newer models are much smaller in comparison to the later model. make sure you get good quality, you dont want your headlights fading because of bad fluid when you need em.

ChuckD said:
If say you were getting the YJ leafs for free, you could use them as AAL's. I believe the only pack that fits almost perfectly is out of some Chevy ZR2 Blazer something. Hey, I read it here on NAXJA so it must be true! :D

That and of course the older Dodge Dakota pack swap (thanks CheapXJ), but that is a pack mixed with an xj pack. They yj leafs are 2-1/2" wide so they aren't narrower, just too short.

the zr2 springs were bolted on intact(without using the xj for the main) by a user on this board.

Ramsey said:
it depends if you have pre97 or not. if it is the older model it is pretty pricey. the reason being is because the resevoir on the newer models are much smaller in comparison to the later model. make sure you get good quality, you dont want your headlights fading because of bad fluid when you need em.

ok and one last question. Do my headlights run off of D or C batteries?

d, and it does not "run" off of it, thats in case your car battery dies you can still drive home at night an be able to see. the d battery is a back up. you really need to do some research before askign these stupid questions. all you have to do is search so you dont have to sound stupid asking these dumb questions.

I just used a set of 4" CJ lift springs and an AAL. It is too stiff for crawling but good for pulling a trailer. I used the XJ top spring and the CJ springs(minus the top one) combined with a short AAL. I think if I took out the AAL it would be nice and soft yet still have good heigth. I got a little over 4" on mine. It has a spare tire in the back the old springs and tire carrier and any extra crap I have for an Xj laying in it. If you can get the springs free like me I say go for it.

HTH

DuG

jeepinxj05 said:
Alright, here's the plan. As ya'll know, Cherokees have a stock S.O.A. in the rear. So I got to usin my kidneys and thought that maybe using stock YJ springs (factory S.U.A.) in the rear of my cherokee will give me...o i don't know... like 5-7 inches or so and then i can buy coil springs which are pretty cheap. Say this does work, do ya'll think I would have problems with spring or axle wrap or does that just have to do with the welds on the axle with the SOA conversion?

Find you an old J truck, take the rear spring pack apart, cut the mounting eyes off of the top leaf, then take your leaf pack apart, throw away the whole pack except the top one. Bolt them all back together, mount them and enjoy about a 6.5" lift in the rear. It worked for me. :farmer:

Back