• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spraying carb cleaner in '89 TB = interesting response

I have one other possible suggestion. When I was playing with the distributor on my 87 I found that when I installed it one tooth retarded it acted much that way. It would start right up but was unable to make the transition past idle. Might be worth checking if all else fails.

edit for typo

The fuel pump working with ballast and/or relay disconnected: on start-up, the fuel pump recieves full power through a differnt circuit, not through the ballast ressistor circuit, which only cuts in at 'run', and not at 'start' key postion. You disabled fuel pump power for 'run' mode, but the fuel pump still gets power in the 'start' mode, from a different source---so you fuel moving!

The computer scan showed open loop mode. Which I guess is a limp home mode. The readings from the sensors are out of spec. My guess is your O2 sensor. When you switched the hole assembly intake exhaust you also changed the O2 sensor. Allthough you have changed the o2 sensor you might have gotten the wrong one. The o2 sensor for the renix motors are different from most o2 sensors. Normally the give out a signal between 0-1 volts. A renix one function like a resistor.

Out of curiosity you could put back the o2 sensor and see if the problem comes back. I am not sure if you need to disconnect the battery to reset an open loop condition, but it wont hurt.

regards
Torfinn

I had the same problem with that same 2" piece of hose. I didn't see any mention in thread about changing fuel filter mine was filthy. Also had same effect idle fine no go when I hit the gas. I didn't have the backfire issue.

Back