• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spending money I don't have on a project I don't need

XJdePlato

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, pretty much I'm an idiot. But, I saw this flat fender that someone donated to the salvation army in their lot today and I just can't resist the urge. I spent 20 minutes today just looking at it through a chain link fence and probably a few hours researching them. I have kn idea the year or weather it is a m38a1, CJ2 or CJ3. It definatley isn't a DJ cause it's a 4x4 and it definatley isn't a CJ3B cause it doesn't have the wierd high hood. They just got it in their lot and haven't even writen the asking price on the windshield yet. Should I make an offer before they write their asking price on the windshield, or will I sound too eager beaver? It's really rusty and it seems like the tailgate is broken , so what would be a good price? I'd be willing to pay no more than $500 for this fixer upper. What's going rate for a no-operation flatfender rust bucket these days?

XJdePlato said:
Yeah, pretty much I'm an idiot. But, I saw this flat fender that someone donated to the salvation army in their lot today and I just can't resist the urge. I spent 20 minutes today just looking at it through a chain link fence and probably a few hours researching them. I have kn idea the year or weather it is a m38a1, CJ2 or CJ3. It definatley isn't a DJ cause it's a 4x4 and it definatley isn't a CJ3B cause it doesn't have the wierd high hood. They just got it in their lot and haven't even writen the asking price on the windshield yet. Should I make an offer before they write their asking price on the windshield, or will I sound too eager beaver? It's really rusty and it seems like the tailgate is broken , so what would be a good price? I'd be willing to pay no more than $500 for this fixer upper. What's going rate for a no-operation flatfender rust bucket these days?

no more than 1500... IMO...

$1500, yeah that's a little out of the budget for right now. I'd love to get one of these things and build it low budget, 1" lift springs, 32x9.5 tires, solex carb, power steering conversion, home made cage and rockers. Anyone know any forums on the net to talk about old junk?

It has a tailgate? Then it's a CJ (not M38). If the windshield is split glass then it's a CJ2A. If the windshield is one peice and has vents under the glass it is a CJ3A.

DJs can be 4x4 - at least up here. DJs are usually RHD though.

HTH

Alright , correction, it has a split windshield so and a non removable hard top. I ran throught the gears and both the tarnsmission and the transfer case seem to be in good condition. I've already got another 4 banger engine for it from a 65' CJ . I think I'll probably get it for $150 since it is horribly rusty. I'm a happy man. Sorry no digital camera

If it is a non-removable then I'm guessing it is a DJ2A.

In order to fit the F-head in your `65 you'll either need to cut a hole in the hood or try to find an old Ford Falcon carb. Search at the CJ3B page for the specifics of the carb that fits.

Root Moose said:
It has a tailgate? Then it's a CJ (not M38).

HTH

My 52 M38 has a tailgate. Your thinking of the later M38a1..which does not have a tailgate...but it's also not a flatfender.

But i'm sure you know ( you sound knowledgable) these vehicles are rarely found in original condition anymore. It could be a 38 body, 3a windshield, 2a hood etc...who knows. :confused1

John B said:
these vehicles are rarely found in original condition anymore. It could be a 38 body, 3a windshield, 2a hood etc...who knows. :confused1

True enough.

Makes it very difficult for the purists and the resto-modders to get together sometimes. It's a shame to wheel/modify an all original flatfender and at the opposite end of the spectrum there are those that feel it is sacrilege to take a CJ2A and put on a MB grille and OD paint and run it in parades as a military relic.

It's all just steel. :)

Back