• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Problem??

Sig220

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 Cherokee that I am resurrecting from the dead. Its got an auto transmission with the 4.0 and 4WD.

The problem that has me stumped, is that I have no speedometer reading. The tach works fine, but not even a bump out of the speedo.

Open to ideas as to where to start the troubleshooting. I did check the gear in the transmission, it has all its teeth.....from that inspection, it looks like it is a gear driven speedo that is converted to electrical for sending to the dash....am I close to being right on that?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.

Yes you are right.The speed sensor(thing between wire plug in and gear) does go bad.
You should be able to pull a code to confirm this.
Wayne

Thanks for the reply, Wayne. Now if someone would tell me how to pull codes out of a 92?? I may be on the right track!

Thanks Again.

Sig220 said:
Thanks for the reply, Wayne. Now if someone would tell me how to pull codes out of a 92?? I may be on the right track!

Thanks Again.
ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON with the ignition key, leaving it in the final position (ON). The Check Engine light will then blink two-digit codes, ending with 55 (five blinks, a pause, and then 5 blinks), which means "end of codes". If 55 is all you get, you have no fault codes. Allpar's web site has a translation guide for the codes.

Have a pencil ready in case there's a few.

Rob

This is probably a silly question, but your speed sensor is in the TRANSFER CASE right? If it’s in the transmission and you have a 4WD something is not right. There are two different versions of speedo gears; a “long” and a “short”. I’m not sure which one yours takes, but check in a manual and make sure you have the right one. The speed sensor is kind of tricky to adjust. The shaft is not perfectly centered in the round opening, its offset to one side so it kind of cams into position. Look at the top of the sensor (or on the opening in the transfer case) and there should be a couple of hatch marks on one and some numbers on the other. Line up the hatch mark with the number of teeth on your speedo gear and bolt it down. It sounds kind of awkward, but if you look at you will see what I’m talking about. It took me a couple of tries before I finally got mine adjusted right.

Rob.........Thanks for the procedure........even if its nothing there on this problem, I can use it in the future for sure!! I will go check for codes ASAP anyway!.

Wiley, Good point, I remember reading about that in a article on changing the gear to match your tires. As I don't have a history of my vehicle, I will clean the funk off the area and make sure it is indexed correctly. Sure is a tight spot for old tired eyes, but I will get it!!

Thanks Guys for helping me out!!

Had a free moment, so I tried to pull the codes from the computer to check them with allpar's site. Here are the results:

Code: 33 (A/C clutch relay circuit open or shorted) True, although I have not tried it, I don't think the ac works or had been working.

Code: 15 (No speed/distance signal) This was a hard one to pick up until I read where the pauses are not equal....I read it as a 6, but the "55" code followed, so knew it was some combo of 6.

So there it is (code 15) which tells me what I already knew!! No activity on the speedometer. Now to get some time to check the index on the speedo gear and transmission. Next would be a troubleshooting sequence, a friend got me!!

Happy New Year!

On my 98 4x2 the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) didn't completely fail but it was really flakey- see my post on it. Anyway the new one was quoted from $25 for a "universal" you had to splice into the wiring to $199. The dealer was not the high one- $119 if I remember right. O'Reillys was $89 for a Borg Warner that plugged into the existing harness. This is just for the electronic sender- it mounts on the gear shaft. So it pays to shop around.

Back