• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soundbar Speakers

Dan1990XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, dumb question, I have searched but have not found an answer. I just sold my 90XJ and bought a 95 XJ and it has a rear soundbar, I would like to replace these speakers but I am not sure on how to get the stock ones out. I got the grill off and instead of plain screws the speakers are held in by rubberish plug type fasteners of some sort, How do I remove these without causing damage to anything?

yup, you can fit any 5.25" speaker into those. If your going to replace them you may as well do the ones in the doors over too. theres 2 up front. In the rear just undo the screws and pull the black fasteners off. I cut mine, they dont have any bearing on the operation of the new aftermarket speakers and are OK to remove outright. Just cut them, its easiest.

Make sure bat is disconnected *****
Unless you have a harness to adapt to the new speakers (i didnt) just cut the leads going to the old ones, strip the top, get some wire nuts and make the 2 connections. Be carefull because they will still work even if their backwards. They just wont have any Bass. Try it one way, if theres no bass swap em round. Trial and error. I *believe* that the solid wire is the positive and the stripped is the negative but try both ways.

My past experience has been replacing the speakers in a stock sound bar have resulted in less than best performance.
The sound bar and speakers have been engineered as a matched set.
Different speakers don’t work as well as a whole new sound bar.
I just cut the head off the plastic fastener and use clip nuts to reinstall the replacement drivers.

A tip on speaker phasing.
Tune to a AM station and listen, if you can hear the Left and Right speakers your wiring is wrong. If you can’t hear Left and Right and sound is dead center your phasing is correct.

I am replacing all of the speakers as the paper cones all have pulled away from the speaker surround. Now if I understand you both, you are saying just cut the rubber stuff and there should be screws underneath that? I dont see any screws all I see is the rubber.

no, theres these black rubber fasteners. Just cut them. After those are gone and the speakers are removed there should be holes (4 i believe) in the sound bar. Take the new black fasteners that are clip shaped and have a hole in them and fit them so the hole matches up. Fit the speakers so the holes line up with the attatchment setup. Make your connections inside then mount. Whole job will take less than an hr. provided you allready have everything you need.

You slip these over the wholes so you have threads to mount your new speakers.
clipnut.JPG

If you pry up on the head of those stock fastners until the head pops up they will release and sometimes can be reused.
Pop open
PopOpen.jpg

Pop closed.
PopClosed.jpg

Last edited:
good luck getting that to pop open though, my experience has been to just cut them and save the sore fingers and time.

Back