• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sorry for the three deep post...but...

Goldeneagle

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, & I've got a '98 XJ with a 4.5 Rusty's lift, TB spacer, and Flowmaster cat-back sys, I used to live in NorCal (near Bridgeport), and I've since moved to SoCal (Carlsbad), work at Camp Pendleton; in both locations, I enjoy/ed moderate wheeling. Anyways, all that's besides the point, just some background info. Here's the deal: today, went wheeling, attempted to ford a crossing I thought wasn't as deep as it really was. Took in some water, immediately shut it down. Towed it to the shop, pulled the plugs, turned it over several times, spit a good amount of water out. After that, changed the oil, flushed the antifreeze, and fuel system. I intend to replace the plugs tomorrow. Now the thing runs like garbage, in that, around 50 or so, when I stomp on it, it won't down shift & accelerate hard, it just gradually accelerates no matter what speed I start from. I also looked a the ATF, it's still red, no strawberry shake. In addition, the "check engine" light is on. I understand there could be multiple things wrong as a result of the circumstances, I'm just looking for some of y'alls advice before I start payin' people to hose me, or asking my Marines stupid questions (anonymity is cool here). The stupid part is, my Marines were like, "C'mon sir, you got it!" I was like yeah I got, I went for it & took a bath, they love that stuff. Thanks for any suggestions, & never fear, I realize they're just that & wouldn't try be pissy if I tried something & it didn't work :) Thanks in advance, Happy Holidays

I'd start assessing the damage by pulling the codes and running a compression check on each cyl.
Running the codes- People have probs in here all the time with moisture at the sensors, esp. the TPS. I am certain that you will find that you may have the same, if not there, somewhere else. (My "shoot from the hip" guess would be to suspect the O2, TPS, and CPS first, but go by what the codes tell you.) Do a seach on the different sensors, a lot of information can be found on moisture related failures.
Running the compression check- A hydrolock is very tough on a motor, and can do extensive damage. Toward the bad end of the spectrum, a bent crank and/or bent rods.(They can break, too, but you had indicated that it was still running...) Toward the lesser end, a cracked or bent valve. Hopefully your damage is minimal.
Keep a close eye for a change in your running temp. and your oil pressure.
I say this because on occasion, the out for all the excessive hydrolic pressure can be at the head gasket. The pressure created by a true hydrolock can easily cause enough bolt-stretch to entice a failure.
Probly next on the list, in my opinion, would be to determine if your intake cracked, or warpped, enough to cause a leak, decreasing your vac.
Also, you should check all your boxes for "milkshake", not just tranny...

Curious what you find, please let us know.

Best of luck to you...

TheRasper.

Back