• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some quick info on optima's please

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Well must change my battery today (dead cell) I'm going the optima route. I run a winch,lights and a sound system. which optima to go for?My guys says
yellow top best for suv's- handle vibes better
red top- more power!
marine optima- not recommended

bcmaxx said:
Well must change my battery today (dead cell) I'm going the optima route. I run a winch,lights and a sound system. which optima to go for?My guys says
yellow top best for suv's- handle vibes better
red top- more power!
marine optima- not recommended
Your guy is completely wrong.

As long as they're all the spiral cell (I believe they are) they won't leak, and they will handle vibration all equally.

The yellow top is more of a deep cycle/starter combo. Use it if you want to use lots of your electricity-draining equipment with the jeep off, but also starting your jeep as well.

The red top is just like a normal car battery - just much more beefier.

And the marine one is pure deep cycle. Don't use it to start your engine with.

So basically, if you like leaving the jeep off but using the stereo, lights, using a winch, etc, get a yellow top, as it will let you start your engine afterwards.

If you just want a normal battery without maintenance issues and that'll last longer, get a red top.

x2....if you ever need to winch a dead jeep out. the yellow will recover better than the red.

thanks for the calrification - yellow top it is!!

I use a yellow top, its been great for a few years now plus two (2) 7-cell blue tops in the trunk for house batteries. Also have a great warranty service, 18 months free replacement, 3 years prorated (for the blues at least).

optima makes 3 different variations of the yellow top and 2 are ok for a jeep but 1 is underpowered check there website... i went through this when i bought my yellow top 2 months ago

mattbred said:
And the marine one is pure deep cycle. Don't use it to start your engine with.
That is not entirely correct. They make starting and deep cycle as well every bit as good as the Yellow Top. The big advantage of the blue top is that they have accessory terminals on top that are capable of handling a winch.

I've been using one for two years with nary a burp.

Scroll to the bottom of this link where it says Bluetop benefits and the first line says it all. http://europe.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/europe/en/config/product_info/marine.html

rstarch345 said:
That is not entirely correct. They make starting and deep cycle as well every bit as good as the Yellow Top. The big advantage of the blue top is that they have accessory terminals on top that are capable of handling a winch.

I've been using one for two years with nary a burp.

Scroll to the bottom of this link where it says Bluetop benefits and the first line says it all. http://europe.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/europe/en/config/product_info/marine.html

Ive heard the only difference between the blue and the red is just that the acc terminals output 100% on the blue, and only 70% on the red.

I have the yellow and it died days befor the 1 year warrenty. I don't think the red is much different and it is cheaper. It comes with a lot better warrenty.

go for DieHard's new Platinum battery. It's got a 4-year full-replacement warrantee and a 100 month prorated warrantee...and it's 179.99 as opposed to 199 at autozone for the yellow-top. I have one in my jeep and it does it's job pretty well. Plus, where is there not a Sears within spitting distance.

I went with a redtop.

I believe red is best for auto starting, yellow is best for auto deep cycle,and blue is for marine deep cycle.

Although if you go to the Optima website alot of the features of the batteries overlap and such between the "colors."

But red is the cheapest too.

I don't know, alot of people use red and yellows. I've even seen a blue in a Cherokee before.

FYI redtop was like $130 at CostCo. The Yellow and Blue were respectively higher by maybe $20 or so.

a true deep cycle battery is basically your 6 volt lead acid battery. great for total discharge recovery but not a capaciter style battery for extreme surge power, like what you need to start a car. that said, the blue top is for marine use that allows SOME discharge recovery help, but also helps with starting. red tops are for starting only and will be killed if totally discharged. the yellow top is just another INBETWEEN type battery. i would recommend the yellow top if you do use the stereo while not under power. the blue tops are junk. all my boating buddies that bought the blue tops returned them the first week. i run yellows in the boats, and red in all my vehicles, but will probably use the yellow in the jeep because it sits for longer periods of time.(slow discharge).

Muad'Dib said:
Ive heard the only difference between the blue and the red is just that the acc terminals output 100% on the blue, and only 70% on the red.
Red tops to not have aux top terminals, they have side. Blue do not have side terminals.

I've been using dual purpose marine batteries for years. Starting/deep cycle combinations so the Optima Blue Top is not unique in that respect.

If you use the Blue Top that is deep cycle only, yes you'll screw it up and anyone with brains will understand that. Yes a Blue Top costs more, but it's cheaper than 2 batteries when you want starting power and auxillary power. You can't use the side terminals on a Yellow or Red for a winch or other high power applications. The Blue has top terminals specifically designed for high current draw.

Red and Yellows are top notch in their own respect, but if you want a true dual purpose battery, you can't beat the Blue Top.

I use a 12K winch, 4Ga B+ wire and 117A alternator and use it heavily on the trail rescuing the less fortunate.

mini-IMG_0021.JPG

I know some people have melted the side terminals on Redtops overloading them with excessive loads.However, alot of GM vehicles come from the factory with side terminal batteries and battery cable connectors.Would it be safe to use the redtop's side terminals along with the GM battery cables?I have not run into this scenario, but I am curious.Do yellow tops have side terminals as well? I was not aware about the blue top's configuration.

BTW I think optimas carry a 4 or 5 year warranty from the date of purchase. And if you lose your receipt, it goes back to the date of manufacturer. Can't really beat that.

Blaine B. said:
I know some people have melted the side terminals on Redtops overloading them with excessive loads.However, alot of GM vehicles come from the factory with side terminal batteries and battery cable connectors.Would it be safe to use the redtop's side terminals along with the GM battery cables?I have not run into this scenario, but I am curious.Do yellow tops have side terminals as well? I was not aware about the blue top's configuration.

BTW I think optimas carry a 4 or 5 year warranty from the date of purchase. And if you lose your receipt, it goes back to the date of manufacturer. Can't really beat that.

Can't beat an Interstate Green top battery!

I used to run an A/C Delco battery.

But when I was doing alot of work on the Jeep and having the doors open for hours (meaning the interior lights were on) I drained it enough times where it must have lost a few cells.

So pull the dome light fuse if you're going to leave your doors open for an extended period of time.

I was going to warranty the Delco battery and have it prorated for a replacement but I couldn't find the origional receipt (only the credit card receipt) and they said that wasn't enough information since they got bought out and all. You know, Delco is now Delphi, etc........

A/C is very good too, I'd recommend those batteries as well.

Well after a 1 hour drive last night, I came to the heep this morning the optima was completely dead , no parisitic draw other than memory,etc, alternator is working, all cables are new with the addition of some extra engine to body straps. I'm thinking possible intermittent alternator output? (reman- 2 months old)

Back