• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sold the YJ, now I own a Renix.

You're trying to de-redneck it, and it's not happy! It wants to be a redneck-mobile! :D

I had low idle problems on my 90, it turned out that the HO valve cover/CCV that I put on had too small of an orifice in the CCV elbow. It took me 2 years and threw all kinds of parts at it only to find out by chance that I needed to make the CCV orifice bigger to bring the idle up! It went from 600rpm in park to a smooth 850rpm by just making a controlled vacuum leak bigger

RENIX is a moody old beotch.

I think you have a issue in your IAC circuit somewhere. Figure out which wire in the lead is the ground and T another ground to it. Also, check the latch relay, it resets the IAC on shut down for the next restart. Look/test for vacuum leaks, any air introduced post TB will lean out the mixture and raise the idle.

5-90 and Cruiser54 are two of the best I know on here with RENIX and have helped me tremendously with mine over the years.

Figure it all out for when we start on the MJ Ghost...... ;)

I had low idle problems on my 90, it turned out that the HO valve cover/CCV that I put on had too small of an orifice in the CCV elbow. It took me 2 years and threw all kinds of parts at it only to find out by chance that I needed to make the CCV orifice bigger to bring the idle up! It went from 600rpm in park to a smooth 850rpm by just making a controlled vacuum leak bigger

RENIX is a moody old beotch.

I think you have a issue in your IAC circuit somewhere. Figure out which wire in the lead is the ground and T another ground to it. Also, check the latch relay, it resets the IAC on shut down for the next restart. Look/test for vacuum leaks, any air introduced post TB will lean out the mixture and raise the idle.

5-90 and Cruiser54 are two of the best I know on here with RENIX and have helped me tremendously with mine over the years.

I have been reading 5-90 and cruiser54's Renix wisdom all week. Led me to a lot of stuff I wouldn't have known like the c101 connector.

So before I read your post last night I had also decided on going on an electrical hunt on the passenger side at and around the relays. Since I am missing the bracket for the relays, I have no way of knowing which one is which, I pulled relays until it died... ok there is the fuel pump. I swapped the other two relays and whoa... It starts, goes to 1500 for several seconds and drops down to a good normal idle speed. So what is that 3rd relay? O2 heater? Which means a bad relay swapped into that position would have no effect at idle, open loop?

I replaced both relays. So far so good, it still jumps up on start but so far has come down, which I think is within normal renix warm-up procedure.

Not sure if it ate another relay or if I have something up in the wiring right there. When I went to get the truck inspected it would not idle down. Swapped relays and shook the harness/ground right there and it behaved.

My son's MJ is acting up today. It revs to 3k and is hard for him to keep under control. I have to give it a look tomorrow but i thinks its mostly this really cold weather.

My son's MJ is acting up today. It revs to 3k and is hard for him to keep under control. I have to give it a look tomorrow but i thinks its mostly this really cold weather.

I've brought a disease into the family!

Yeah it's really hard to drive when it stays at 3000. the MJ just wants to run away

I've brought a disease into the family!

Yeah it's really hard to drive when it stays at 3000. the MJ just wants to run away

I just put a motor in it two weeks ago so it may have something loose. I dropped a 98 long block in. I used the RENIX intake/exhaust, i might have a intake leak.

I just put a motor in it two weeks ago so it may have something loose. I dropped a 98 long block in. I used the RENIX intake/exhaust, i might have a intake leak.

We keep having the same thoughts. Driving it today I didn't remember the exhaust leak sounding so bad when I brought it home.. I hit the top bolts and a few were loose... Got distracted and forgot about the rest. I'm going to have some serious mixed feelings if that's it.

We keep having the same thoughts. Driving it today I didn't remember the exhaust leak sounding so bad when I brought it home.. I hit the top bolts and a few were loose... Got distracted and forgot about the rest. I'm going to have some serious mixed feelings if that's it.

:D

Nice

Manifold bolts were tight. I'm tempted to do the gasket tomorrow though if I can get one and some o-rings for the fuel rail. MY first start-up today it functioned very normally, only running up to 1500 for several seconds and then idling down to 850 (estimated numbers of course). After that I start having the issues again. I'm wondering if the gasket is leaking once metal starts to warm up. I did notice after getting to all the bolts when I started, a visible vapor coming from the manifolds to block area. Also judging by the way the rest of this thing has been, such as missing motor mount nuts, I can't really trust this guy for installing the gasket correctly. Maybe with the top bolts loose on my 3 hour drive home it burnt through the gasket as well.

I'm moving to Boone Monday and I'm not sure if my toolbox is going to make it with me on the first trip. The more and more I worry about this MJ the more I want all my tools with me.

EDIT: I might still need to be looking at the IAC wiring. Twice today the Jeep would not start, until I gave it partial throttle. This could mean that the IAC was stuck completely shut instead of open, when I opened the throttle I allowed air in to start?

Last edited:
It's not a permanent fix, but when the blasted thing actually idled down today I unplugged the IAC. I have to warm it up myself tomorrow morning but it should hopefully get me to Boone tomorrow.

The power steering pump pulley went today, so it got a new one and belt. I decided against doing the manifold gasket today as I would rather get the fuel rail oring thingymabob from the dealer instead of using the Dorman stuff.

I removed the side tool box and bolted in the VDP center console. I'm just hoping that everything behaves tomorrow.

Once I'm settled Ill start figuring out why the IAC is not functioning properly.

I chased mine for 2 years. I'm pretty sure it ended up an exhaust leak.

My exhaust leak is bad. I had no power on the highway today. I have the gasket need to get the fuel line prongs from the dealer, make space in the garage and it's happening.

My exhaust leak is bad. I had no power on the highway today. I have the gasket need to get the fuel line prongs from the dealer, make space in the garage and it's happening.

What are these fuel line things you speak of?

What are these fuel line things you speak of?

Don't know why I said prongs... They have a neat kit with the orings, spacer, and quick disconnect clip all on a plastic installation tool.

Don't know why I said prongs... They have a neat kit with the orings, spacer, and quick disconnect clip all on a plastic installation tool.

Oh so you are referring to the quick disconnect on the fuel rail?

Yes sorry poor communication on my part.

Well the MJ I have doesn't have a head or fuel rail. So I have nothing to go by there. The XJ I just got is quite complete under the hood with some interesting mods. However its cold out and I don't really want to go around back and look. I'm half tempted to throw the transfer case in and see what happens.

Back