• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solargizer from humvee??

horsefighting

NAXJA Forum User
Do you guys think this would work on a jeep to keep the battery charged? They run them on humvees and lmtvs etc... in the military. I have the opportunity to get one and didnt know if it would work the same.
Any ideas? thoughts?
ndeucesolargizer.jpg

IIRC military humvee's use a 24 volt electrical system, charging at anything over 18 volts will cook most batterys. Do you know the specs on that unit?

There are many 12v solar panels on the market, no reason why one of those couldn't be used for the same purpose.

found this on ebay - it says UP TO 24V SYSTEM so i guess that means i could use it?

Part number IS-24-L. The NSN is 6130-01-392-8347. This will keep batteries topped off when not in use. 24V. Recently selected as a Top Product by both Automotive Business and Construction Equipment magazine, the 24-Volt Solargizer Battery Maintenance System works with all lead-acid battery systems up to 24 volts. This system is ideal for vehicles and equipment used frequently or stored for extended periods of time. This includes construction equipment, farm equipment, boats and much more. Comes with lugs that connect directly to the battery terminals. -Volt Solargizer Specifications Weight 1.5 lb. Solar Panel Dimensions 5.5" X 4.5" X .125" Circuit Box Dimensions 3.5" X 2.25" X 1.5" Wire Length Box to Panel: 10.5 feet Box to Battery: 3ft

batterystuff.com-

11. Battery Don'ts

• Don't forget safety first.
  • Don't add new electrolyte (acid).
  • Don't use unregulated high output battery chargers to charge batteries.
  • Don't place your equipment and toys into storage without some type of device to keep the battery charged.
  • Don't disconnect battery cables while the engine is running (your battery acts as a filter).
  • Don't put off recharging batteries.
  • Don't add tap water as it may contain minerals that will contaminate the electrolyte.
  • Don't discharge a battery any deeper than you possibly have to.
  • Don't let a battery get hot to the touch and boil violently when charging.
  • Don't mix size and types of batteries.

It's not exactly a high output charger, that'll only push a few amps in full sunlight probably. I wouldn't use it even so, it says 24V multiple times...

They do make solar trickle chargers for 12V systems though, you can usually find them fairly inexpensively.

Get the panel, voltage regulator, and probably a few diodes and you are set. These are all "off the shelf" parts, so it should be fairly easy.

I try to keep my XJ in the garage when not in use for a long enough period of time where the battery would drain. But this could work for a lot of people.

The solar charger/maintainer I have now has a diode built in to prevent over-charging the battery. It seems to work pretty well. When my alt was f'd, the battery would be fine for 2-3 days before I had to actually charge it. I can take pics/get a part number if any of you want. I have it suction cupped to my windshield. It does well even when suset and low light conditions hit.

I've got one installed in my 95, won't bring a battery to life but keeps it conditioned. The NC State Troopers use them also.

solar01.jpg

solar02.jpg

At the amperage produced by that charger, I don't think 24V would hurt your batteries. I am no expert on this so if anybody has extensive knowledge on this please step in.

I'd have to check the specs on the units we use, but we use them in our fleet of over 50 trucks. The ones we use plug into an accessory port. (cig lighter)

Our fleet consists of all 12 Volt systems with an annual average mileage of about 7,000 miles, many with less than 1,000.

We've noticed stronger starting and we've bought fewer batteries since using them.

They are currently installed on anything from 2.5 Ton trucks to a 1999 John Deere tractor. We had a 24 Volt Blazer, but turned it in before we got the chargers, so I can't say how that would have worked.

I'd say it would be worth a shot. Let it sit for a week, check voltage. Plug it in for a week, check voltage.

Last edited:
Go for it.

Solargizer made by PulseTech, www.pulsetech.net and will work on 2 ~ 24 volts systems No Problema!!

I'm just guessing that they are waterproof, at least those meant for the military.

Most of the Costco/retail solar maintainers are NOT weather proof.

735X150 24-Volt w/ lugs 2-24 Volts Solar Energy Every day to once
a year
UPSs on cell sites, construction & agricultural equipment & more

Back