• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Software to copy DVDs to HDD?

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have a few concert dvds I'd like to save onto my external HDD.

Ability to burn back to blank dvds would be a plus, but not a requirement. The intent is to back these up before the masters get mauled.

I bought a piece of Nvidea software to allow playback in WMP-10 (on my XP drive) but no joy trying to copy/save or whatnot.

I'd like a solution that can work on multiple PCs... In my current case, same PC, but with a XP 32bit HD and a 7 64bit HD...

What are my options?

I've been told that Daemon Tools will do the rips you want, and any DVD authoring software should rip it back to MPEG-4 to put back on a playable DVD.

I downloaded Daemon Tools once upon a time (it is free,) but haven't had a half chance to play with it and I've been busy an awful lot. I mainly wanted to rip a few movies to SD cards for when I was travelling (or to Memory Stick to play on a PSP, if I got one.)

Hmm I'll look at that.

Carrying around DVDs or CDs is dumb in the age of cheap flash memory IMO, I regret every minute of toting around CDs. It's nice to have the originals put away, and stored on multiple HDDs, flash & coaster CDs as required.

deamon tools started out as a tool to mount disc images on 'phantom' cd drives.... they started bloating on to other things... back in the day i used a program called dvdshrink... which was deemed illegal by the dmca god bless america... even when it didnt freeze my computer, playback was ALLWAYS iffy... sometimes it'd play... sometimes not... sometimes pixellated.... its sad how people are driven to piracy =\

I use nero, dvd shrink, dvd decrypter, and anydvd, alcohol 120%, all with good outcomes on 2k, xp, and vista.

Back