• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I'm looking for an off-road GPS...

That's a smokin price on the bushnell. You think it'd do what I want?

I was ready to get the 60CSX, but I am a cheap bastard.

Robert

I have been thinking about that bushnell for a while. It was $120, then $90 the last two times they have listed it. I am not sure how much cheaper it can get.

It looks like a nice piece

I'll put my two cents in here. I've used the magellan explorist 500 for the past 3-4 yrs now and love it. In all my research I've found it to be a great value. Now there's no doubt the garmin 60 csx is a fine unit, I'd love one myself, however I do a lot of geocaching and on the geocaching sites I've researched with side by side comparisons on the same cache, the above two units were identical in accuracy. Now up here the magellan unit is at least half the price. I'm thrilled with my unit and it's performance. However I did post this in another thread that may convince some of you. Second article.
http://kitup.military.com/outdoors_survival_1/

That's a smokin price on the bushnell. You think it'd do what I want?

The Bushnell GPS ONIX CD-ROM
Your CD contains software to help you get the most out of the ONIX GPS:1. The ONIX GPS PC Companion program. The PC Companion enables you to plan and save your GPS trips on your PC. Similar to the website, you can upload and save waypoints, trails, routes, photos and maps between your GPS and PC, so you can trip plan even when you are not connected to the internet and BushnellGPS.com. Take your PC along on your next adventure and the GPS PC Companion provides the perfect tool for storing and analyzing all of your GPS information.

I snagged one last night.

Joe, if this turns out as sweet as it appears, I owe you a beer!

Or twelve!

:cheers:

Robert

I'll put my two cents in here. I've used the magellan explorist 500 for the past 3-4 yrs now and love it. In all my research I've found it to be a great value. Now there's no doubt the garmin 60 csx is a fine unit, I'd love one myself, however I do a lot of geocaching and on the geocaching sites I've researched with side by side comparisons on the same cache, the above two units were identical in accuracy. Now up here the magellan unit is at least half the price. I'm thrilled with my unit and it's performance. However I did post this in another thread that may convince some of you. Second article.
http://kitup.military.com/outdoors_survival_1/

Wait till you need customer support. You will want to throw it in the garbage.

Yikes. Some of these cost more than my MJ :shocked:

Well, like I said, I was all set on the Garmin 60CSX, til Joe posted that Bushnell ONIX400 on woot for $78. I couldn't pass that up. Bigger screen, better resolution, etc... And did I mention $78?

The website software isn't especially user-friendly, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to download maps directly to my laptop. But I did manage to download them from the site to the unit, and then reload them back to the laptop from there.

That said, here's their view of the BigRock Offroad park in Maysville, KY, that I want to map out:
bushnellbigrock433yd.jpg

At maximum resolution:
bushnellbigrock54yd.jpg

And since the XJ isn't mapping anything but the garage right now, this is the "trail" it recorded on my way out to lunch:
bushnellolivegardentrail.jpg

You get four free downloads with registration. After that, they're like a buck a piece. The low-res map of BigRock is one, the hi-res is another, but only covers about 10% as much area. I guess I'll need nine hi-res downloads to cover it all. Then another layer for the topography.

I'm lovin' it. Now I just need to pry myself away from it long enough to get the Jeep done, so I can take it out and really use it.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Robert

Last edited:
Clarification: $1 per download. 90 days, unlimited downloads, $20. One year, unlimited, $30.

Robert

Hell, if I plan it out really well, I bet I could download everything I'll need in about an hour or two. I could get all of greater Cincy, BigRock, Haspin, 491...

The year would only be good for that "Doh, I shoulda thought of..." moment.

Robert

I'm glad it worked out. :D I was a little nervous! LOL

Man I love Woot.com, most random, cheap a$$ priced stuff in the world. Good buy for you. :thumbup:

I'm glad it worked out. :D I was a little nervous! LOL
Well, so was I. But I figured even if it didn't work for me, I could resell it and get most/all/extra money out of it.

For what it's worth, looking around, they're only going for 100-130 on ebay. So while it was a smokin deal and I sure thank you for it, it's not really the 75-80% off I thought it was, that frankly made me kind of suspicious...

Still owe you that beer, though!

See ya
Robert

Back