• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So, how long does the 4.0 last vs others?

The Hard Struggler said:
A good friend of mine with a bone stock 95 XJ with a 4.0 is just about to tick over 400,000.

wow wow. First I hear 400K miles. No work done to the engine?

Do the 4.0s last up to 500K miles with no engine work?

XJ Stryker said:
Just about any motor will last as long as you take care of it. Give it some attention when it needs it. And keep the fluids changed

I had a 69 Mercedes 280SE with 340K when I sold it.

64 Chevy 292 6 cyl. 310K when it bit.

My 4.0 has 220K on it, still going strong.

It's like a wife. Pick a good one, regular maintenance, attention, plenty of fluids.

here is a link to allpar's 200,000 miles club when i searched for jeep 4.0L. 7 pages of them (hit next at the bottom). alot go 300,000 plus. i have seen one local with 583,000 on it but i don't think it had the original motor? i don't know because i didn't talk to the owner (i just looked at is odo when it was parked). mike

Link:
http://www.allpar.com/old/club/search.php?q=4.0&type=engine

I thought I replied to this thread already, but guess it was another. My 92 I bought with 142K and dogged it up to 277K. I sold it to my bros friend for $500 and he just sold it and some tires and rims for some import last week for $700 w/ 295K(He replaced it with a 94 ZJ with the 4.0, so I can't be mad). I was contemplating selling my 94 block to him and use that engine for my stroker project, but couldn't deny it the 300K mark. You can push these engines hard and they will take it as long as you do the regular maintenance.

X2 on the Toyota 22r, they will go half a million with ease.

Buddy had a 94 XJ 2wd with 296,xxx. Aside from needing a head gasket pretty bad it ran like a champ, he traded it in for an 89 XJ 4x4 with i think ~200,xxx, that thing had all kinds of problems, ended up dumping it for an S-10 with 150,xxx.

Brother's 94 XJ 4x4 only has around 180,xxx i think, strongest 4.0 i've ever driven...

Recently accquire a 92 XJ 4x4 5-sp with 196,700 for $600 off my brother. Runs straight, couple of noises and very little floor left but certainly takes a beating.

Also own an 87 E-150 w 4.9l, beast of a straight six. I think it has 215,xxx, looks far too rough for a single tick over on the odometer (only says 15,xxx). Leaks 5qts a week out valve cover and has lifter noise, when full of fluid it runs strong enough to burn the duallies i put on it.

ParadiseXJ said:
I had a 69 Mercedes 280SE with 340K when I sold it.

64 Chevy 292 6 cyl. 310K when it bit.

My 4.0 has 220K on it, still going strong.

It's like a wife. Pick a good one, regular maintenance, attention, plenty of fluids.

my pops had a 72 280se, it had ~250k when it got a valve job (lousy unleaded gas) but the bottom end was still tits, ran like new afterward, he ended up selling it around 285k tho, I miss that car :(

as for my XJ its still not even broken in yet, just ticked over 103k today :greensmok

216k on 89 Cherokee/4.0/231/AW4. No crank/block/headwork. Exhaust manifold has cracked several times prior to my owning it though. Lifters make some noise cold, but besides that perfect. I'm planning to do a compression test soon just for my own curosity.

Forward gears stopped at 186k replaced with JY tranny.

got my 92 with 315000 KM on the odo. now its 320000KM, no noises, and with all stock running gear, AW4, 242, 27" tires, faster than my buddys 08 ranger, and i pulled him out the other night too!:laugh3:

Back