• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel - what size pipe?

Should use 3". Both the Airflow and Safari ones are that and helps over come the extra drag over the distance and the extra bends etc. They normally fit on the left side because that is where your airbox fits and you should always have the shortest path possible with the least amount of bends for the above reasons. No other reason than that as my site shows them fitted to the right side too but that is for the diesels here as their airbox is on that side.

Muddy89XJ said:
how did you work out the water drain. So when you drive it in the rain it doesnt go in the engine.
All the water separation happens in the head design of the snorkel. Basically the bottom of the head is bigger than the main pipe going down the piller. The smaller pipe goes up higher inside the head and the bottom of the head, where it shrinks down to meet it a couple of inches further down, has slots cut into it to drain the water out. Due to the 90* bend at the top of the head it forces the water against the wall of it so it drains away from the main air stream.
I hope that makes sense without a drawing. I had to explain the same ting a few weeks ago to someone that made a snokel using PVC pipe here. http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=11077;start=50

sndiag3.gif

Taken from Safari Snorkels site without permission. That picture helps put 2 and 2 together.

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/snorkel/snorkel_qa.htm

Gojeep said:
All the water separation happens in the head design of the snorkel. Basically the bottom of the head is bigger than the main pipe going down the piller. The smaller pipe goes up higher inside the head and the bottom of the head, where it shrinks down to meet it a couple of inches further down, has slots cut into it to drain the water out. Due to the 90* bend at the top of the head it forces the water against the wall of it so it drains away from the main air stream.
I hope that makes sense without a drawing. I had to explain the same ting a few weeks ago to someone that made a snokel using PVC pipe here. http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=11077;start=50
well its about time someone explained it...I have posted specific posts on that very question and it seemed like no one knew the answer.
How much and where can I get the "head" to the snorkel?Sorry for the slight hi-jack.....

jeepdeepfreak said:
well its about time someone explained it...I have posted specific posts on that very question and it seemed like no one knew the answer.
How much and where can I get the "head" to the snorkel?Sorry for the slight hi-jack.....
ARB should sell them as a spare part.
Here is Oz you can pick them up from truck wreakers as well as a lot of trucks run them here. Do they do that in the USA too? Everything from a small Isuzu tray truck to Kenworth prime movers often run the same type of snorkel heads on top of their airboxes.

Back