• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoke coming out of the steering column

Ex-Jay said:
So even though the smoke smells like exhaust and not burning wires you think it must be th ignition switch. I just really don't want to mess with the switch if I don't have to, it is a real pita for someone like me (6' 3", 290 lbs). What coould be the cause of the gassy, rich exhast smell if the smoke is caused by the switch?
If it was Electrical related you would smell it!

Mine is this light haze that flows equally from heater controlls to the door. comes out the collum area.

mine smells like exhaust. its got that burnt gas smell. it'l get ya high lol! and the thing is, it goes away when your stopped. so it makes me believe its coming threw the firewall.

My problem ended up being a leaky fuel injector dripping onto the manifold and smoking like a bastard as someone suggested and then getting sucked up the steering column with the air flow when driving. Finally got around to changing the injectors today. No fuel smell now, no smoke. :wierd:
Sounds like you two probably had/have the same problem, although that is a few months back I see now. If it hasn't been fixed lift your hood and take a good look at each injector and each end of the fuel rail to see if there is any moisture (fuel) dripping or leaking.

Last edited:
Back