• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog question

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I went to get my jeep smogged and asked the guy to make sure there weren't any codes prior to him doing the actual test. He was not able to communicate with my jeep. Had correct voltage on the ob2 connector. No check engine light and my scan gauge and innova code readers work fine. I do have the air bag light on and the acm is gone(am looking for it today...long story). Any chance the air bag Issue is causing this problem? I'm thinking it's his code reader. I should have just had him hook up to the smog machine.

Does your Innova have the "Emission Status" indicator lights on it? If it's showing green, you should be good to go. I replaced my O2 sensors a few days ago and mine is still yellow. Guess I still haven't driven a full OBDII cycle to get it back to green yet.

I'd guess it's a problem with his reader, don't think the airbag would have anything to do with it. The FSM says that the ACM has it's own OBD which is responsible for tuning off the airbag light via the CCD bus. I wouldn't think it should interfere with any of the emissions monitoring stuff.

DO you know anyone with a code reader? Have them check. Problem is that generic scan tools communicate with the engine controller over the bus communication network. I don't know how many for sure, but there aren't many modules on the XJ bus, so the removal of the air bag module may indeed effect vehicle communication. I would have someone esle check for codes before replacing anything.

The airbag light won't cause it to not read. I got a smog done last april with the airbag light on and both the reader and the smog machine was connecting to the OBDII.

When i got my jeep smogged it was throwing a emmissions leak code. So I went down to autozone and have them connect their reader and clear the codes, then drove around for about 20 miles and then took it to be smogged and it passed. Out of all the systems that the smog machine checks you are allowed to have three not ready for scan.

The airbag light won't cause it to not read. I got a smog done last april with the airbag light on and both the reader and the smog machine was connecting to the OBDII.

When i got my jeep smogged it was throwing a emmissions leak code. So I went down to autozone and have them connect their reader and clear the codes, then drove around for about 20 miles and then took it to be smogged and it passed. Out of all the systems that the smog machine checks you are allowed to have three not ready for scan.

He said the module was removed from the vehicle. Was your airbag module removed? Or was there just a code for a bad squib circuit?

Back