• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smallest yet durable enough tubing for roof rack?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I know some use poop pipe to build theirs but we also all know how heavy these roof baskets can get so I'm kinda wanting to research what type of iron/mild steel/etc..(not aluminum) size tubing can I use that will be the lightest but durable enough to hold gear? It's never going hold a tire but a jack and other misc stuff it will. Just trying to get a rough idea, it will be a full length rack if that helps

I used .065 for thickness on mine, various tubing sizes tho

1x1x0.065 should be swell. Probably even step the interior cross pieces down to 3/4x3/4x0.065. Really, what will you have up there? Hi-lift on the edge of the rack and a couple sleeping bags and a tent?

Ya it'll have a hi-lift, sleeping bags, tents, other camping stuff, etc... I just want to keep the weight as light as possible to avoid top heaviness since I plan to build my jeep to be an expedition jeep so light as possible to not weight it down so much.

Build smart, and the added strength from structure will more then make up for a little less crush resistance.

Overbuilding is wrong and lazy.

I used 1"x1"x3/16" square tubing and some black pipe for my roof sliders and it only weighs in at 55#. I don't have a big basket up there but I do have a Yakima Basket Case and it only weighs 12#. Works well for holding a chainsaw and some camping gear etc.

I use 1" .060 wall HREW round tube. So far the racks have held up great to everything. Plus they're pretty light weight and strong.

I used 1" x .065 steel for the bottom perimeter, and .75" x .065 for the top rail. The cross members were 1.25" x .75" rectangular for the cross pieces. I used expanded mesh for the floor.

The biggest design issue becomes the mounting.
Poser.jpg

Back