• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

small block 383 questions...

Joshooha

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I don't feel like posting a bunch of questions randomly. Who is a small block chevy guru?!

My current dilemma; I have what I believe is to be a 1969 or 1979 small block. I have tried multiple (factory corvette) starters for it and have yet to find the correct one for it. Everytime I go to bolt it up the Bendix is crashing into the flywheel. The flywheel is a summit racing 168 tooth flywheel (part number: sum-g100sfi). Am I going about this the wrong way? Do I need to buy an aftermarket starter for this thing?

Sorry, if this seems like a newb question but I've been out of the engine game for a while. I built this motor 10 years ago and its been sitting around. finally getting around to finishing it up. I may have several more questions later down the road, but the starter is boggling me right now.

some of the chevy blocks require a shim on the starter hit up your local auto parts store. I work at NAPA and we've got em. if you have a NAPA near you go in and holler at em.

now the shim just makes adjusts up and down? I mean when I bolt this thing up, if the bendix engages, its gonna crash straight into the flywheel...

Most aftermarket starters are set up for both 153 and 168. But the factory style starters will be for one or the other. Sounds like your starter is for the 153 tooth flywheel, go swap it out for a 168 version.

Back