• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sluggish stroker...

achilles100

NAXJA Forum User
New member to NAXJA here. My name's Aaron.

I recently bought my brother's 2000 XJ after his wife overheated it to death. I had a Golen 4.6L stroker built for it and have been driving on it for about 3 weeks now. The engine has been broken in, strictly following Golen's requirements, and tomorrow it gets it's final oil change after the break-in, which will begin the normal maintenance interval.

I have been reading posts on this forum for about 6 months now as a lurker, and specifically have been focusing on what people have been saying about strokers. My feeling is that my Golen engine is not coming close to performing the way it should. I drove this Jeep a few times in the past when it had the factory engine, and I recall being surprised at how powerful it was. Obsiously, I was expecting quite a bit more than stock from the stroker.

This post is to pick some brains as to what sorts of things you would suggest I start looking at to find a potential problem? Other issues with the truck, besides the fact that it appears to accelerate like a K-car, are that it runs a tad hot for my tastes (between 210 and the next line, with a preference for the next line) and the idle is a little rough, with a slightly fluctuating tachometer. It has stalled on me once when coming to a stop at a light, as the idle was bouncing around, but only the once.

Almost the entire cooling system is brand new. 3-core CSF, Hesco pump, 180 deg. Mr. Gasket, Hesco t-stat housing, all new radiator and heater hoses, new factory cap.

The air filter is brand new from the dealership, as are the spark plugs, and of course all of the gaskets are new. I am running 27# Ford injectors that have been rebuilt and flow-matched. No egg-shell smell or black smoke from the exhaust on accel. The engine was installed at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership here in Arizona.

So it's nice to meet you all and I'm sorry for the long post, but I really do think there could be something amiss, and you all are waaay more intelligent than me, so if you have any suggestions, I am willing to hear all opinions. Sorry if I missed any relevant details.

Thanks!

Aaron

one really good website is jeepstrokers.com. Those guys pretty much know anything about these things. I don't know a whole lot about the stokers yet, but I do seem to remember someone saying that you need an adjustable MAP sensor. Don't quote me on that entirely, if you use the search you might be able to find out what I was talking about. They also say that the strokers tend to run a little hotter than stock, 210-220 does seem a bit hot. sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Were new O2 sensors done at the time of engine install? How about other sensors (MAP, IACV, TPS, CPS, etc)?

Are you using the blue top 24# fms injectors that flow 27# on your 49psi rail or some other 27# injectors?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Golen engine told me that for a 2000 model year, I did not need an adjustable MAP sensor, so I don't have that.

The O2 sensors were all replaced approximately a year ago, but were not replaced with the new engine. All other engine sensors are original.

I like the idea of the plugged catalyst. I thought I would smell sulfur from the exhaust with that, but perhaps not. I have a laser temperature gun, so I'll climb under the beast soon and check the inlet and outlet temps at the cat. If it is cooler at the cat exit, I'll replace the sucker.

Good suggestion to post over on strokerforums.com. Thanks!

So if its clogged it will be cooler on the exit side?

Back