• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

skunk VS. 2 german shepherd dogs

rag

NAXJA Forum User
long story short.

-5:50 i clock out from work, drive 11 miles home
-i walk into house, the smell of faint burning tires linger
-i walk upstairs into my room, crash in bed
-woken up at about 7:30
-go downstairs
-it felt like i hit a brick wall of stench
-huge dead skunk, entrails and all, plop dead in the middle of the basement
-both dogs, two year old Sasha and one year old Maggie, are sitting in their beds. ear folded and waging their tails.

4 part vinegar
2 part hydrogen peroxide
1 part dog shampoo/dish washer soap (no bleach and such)
a dab of baking soda

let this potion soak into their coat for some time and rinse it off

I just gave maggie a quick bath in the stuff, she smells a million times better. at the moment she still has some stench but atleast i can hug her without gagging.

sasha's time is up and the bath tub is almost filled.

my question is how do i get rid of the stink in my house?

i have so many bowls of ground coffee placed in wierd areas around the house i swear someone would think im summoning the cocoa king of darkness.

cups of white vinegar are also placed randomly through out the house.

basement is concrete, the rest of house is hardwood/tile

im having a hard time getting used to the smell :wow: haha

SBrad001 said:
you burn it down.. . and put in an insurance claim. :)

the good thing is both dogs do not stink of skunk anymore, they smell like a waiting room in a hospital

rag said:
the good thing is both dogs do not stink of skunk anymore, they smell like a waiting room in a hospital

Sort of the same thing happened to my dad's hunting trailer. He kept for a couple of years after the incident with dogs and skunk, but when it would rain and the humidity would rise that stench would come right back. . . he eventually sold the trailer. . . during the summer. . . when it was very dry.

SBrad001 said:
you burn it down.. .
Close! LOL. Smoke will help. Have a fireplace?

day two.

dogs have skunk guts breath

as soon as i walked into my house i was hit by a wall of freshly ground coffee odor

sure beats gagging because of skunk.

put a candle down there. might manage to burn away some of it. its not gonna work super quick as the flame is tiny but it prob will help over a few hours.

Tomato juice works well, at least for the dogs, never had one in the house though. How big an area in the cellar ? Maybe pour some kerosene, cup or two and light it over the 'skunk spots' ? 1lb of gun powder sprinkle spread out salted like and light it. Muriatic acid for cleaning concrete maybe.
How the hell did it get in the cellar ?

RichP said:
Tomato juice works well, at least for the dogs, never had one in the house though. How big an area in the cellar ? Maybe pour some kerosene, cup or two and light it over the 'skunk spots' ? 1lb of gun powder sprinkle spread out salted like and light it. Muriatic acid for cleaning concrete maybe.
How the hell did it get in the cellar ?

i have two dog doors. one that connects the basement to the rest of the house and one in the basement to the backyard.

one of the dogs must have carried the skunk into the basement, at the time i had the inside dog door closed off.

i wouldn't put it past them to find the skunk inside my bedroom if they had the chance :laugh:

ozone machine is on the way from PA

Back