• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid plate or rubber splashguard, what to do?

Yeah, I got the timing set before I found out that the 4.0 is a non-interference engine. I figured it was a "better safe than sorry" item I'd just replace without figuring out if it was bad or not, now that I know the engine won't hammer itself into a pile of junk if the chain slips I probably won't do it unless it actually needs it.

Oh yeah, I also have about 300cc of assembly lube around to apply liberally to everything before inserting the new RMS... what would you consider a "lot of miles"? 200? 300? I'm only at 133k right now, so I probably won't bother with rod bearings, and my oil pressure was great till I decided to cheap out and use an STP oil filter - that'll be coming out as well when I do the pan replacement/fix.

I'm only at 133k right now, so I probably won't bother with rod bearings...

130k is borderline for rod bearings, if it were me I'd probably just run them. If you were more like 200 I'd suggest it. 300 I'd demand it :p

I'd keep the timing set around for the next engine build ;)

Keep the bearings, but for grins and giggles re-torque the rod and main caps. You might be a little surprised at how loose they get.

I finally threw mine away. I tried putting the replacement splash guard on about 3 times and could never get it to fit. Finally trimmed the pieces where it was blocking a little bit and figured out that it was for a different model. Needs holes drilled in the frame rails under the engines but they are plated there and I really didn't feel like futzin with it so just dumped it. Pisses me off because it was one of the first things I bought to replace and never got to use it.

One question ¿are the Skid plate or Rubber Splashguard the same thing? I´m talking about the standard issue and not an aftermarket Skid plate. Thanks for the answers

One question ¿are the Skid plate or Rubber Splashguard the same thing? I´m talking about the standard issue and not an aftermarket Skid plate. Thanks for the answers

No

IMG00366_20091012_1701_800x600.sized.jpg

IMG00367_20091012_1702_800x600.sized.jpg

Above is the factory skid plate. It's steel and covers the steering components. The rubber splash shield covers the accessories on the front of the engine from water being splashed up. I believe there are pics of the splash shield somewhere, possibly in this thread.

The factory splash shield is about worthless in it's factory form. Here's a link where you can order OEM replacements with a small pic. I think it would be better with a trim, or a replacement with a thin sheet of sheetmetal. I personally want to do something like this:
shield1.jpg

shield2.jpg

This thread has afew more pics of the factory skid plate: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1006459

Last edited:
x2, i'd say you can probably do the same thing in arizona, but mass? probably not.

seems like a location specific solution...

Back