• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple Cheap Rear Bumpstop Idea - short write-up

for my rig and what type of wheeling we do i feel a 70/30 set works great - 70% droop and 30% compression. its just what i have found that works for east coast wheelin, most likely doesn't work for everyone but it does work for me.

TNT said:
Because some of us like to go fast too. With 33" to 35" tires there is room for uptravel and I personally believe to set-up for as much uptravel as I can.

When you run 39.5" tires with 7" of lift, uptravel is not your friend it's your limitation. Droop is your friend. Just don't try hammering over whoops at 60mph.... It would not be pretty...

Pre-running and wheeling are different entities to me...

Most if not All buggies I've seen have very very little uptravel.. maybe not even 70/30 (droop/compression)... Uptravel seems to only keeps you from flopping so just go wider and maxamize the droop....

But like Lincoln said.. that seems to work best here on the east coast.. and the limit of pre-running we see is pretty much Trail 1 at Tellico at 25-30mph...

I have had 70/30, 60/40 and 50/50 at the same lift and shock travel. They all had the same amount of flex, it was the ability to absorb impacts and stability that improved. Right now I'm shooting for 60/40 unless I increase shock travel which would move me closer to 50/50 again. Overall traction improved as droop decreased because the axle has spring pressure on it forcing it into the ground instead of just the weight of the axle as the springs hang fully extended.

At 30/70 in the rear I was never able to fully droop the one side. Even at 60/40 it was hard to achieve full droop when flexed in the rear.

uncc civilengineer said:
Pre-running and wheeling are different entities to me...

Most if not All buggies I've seen have very very little uptravel.. maybe not even 70/30 (droop/compression)... Uptravel seems to only keeps you from flopping so just go wider and maxamize the droop....

But like Lincoln said.. that seems to work best here on the east coast.. and the limit of pre-running we see is pretty much Trail 1 at Tellico at 25-30mph...

Setting up for the maximum amount of compression when flexed without rubbing should be done, then if you like the 70/30 combo you could lower your rig and improve your COG or run longer shocks for even more flex.

TNT said:
Setting up for the maximum amount of compression when flexed without rubbing should be done, then if you like the 70/30 combo you could lower your rig and improve your COG or run longer shocks for even more flex.

Why?

I have my jeep setup to for approx. 4" of up travel w/ 9" down (what's that 70/30 droop/comp.)... At maximum stuff im not rubbing and still have exactly 1/8" of shock shaft showing (bumpstop limited).

I could set-it up differently for more compression but if your fully compressed you'll have pressure/weight or whatever on the tire to aid in traction.. IF my tire is just floating out there with limited droop it's not helping anything..

uncc civilengineer said:
Why?

I have my jeep setup to for approx. 4" of up travel w/ 9" down (what's that 70/30 droop/comp.)... At maximum stuff im not rubbing and still have exactly 1/8" of shock shaft showing (bumpstop limited).

I could set-it up differently for more compression but if your fully compressed you'll have pressure/weight or whatever on the tire to aid in traction.. IF my tire is just floating out there with limited droop it's not helping anything..

Your rear suspension has 4" of compression on one side and can droop the other side 9" when flexed?

If you can fully extend one side in the rear when the other side is stuffed to the bumpstop I would like to know what springs and some details on your set-up you are using.

13" of rear flex with leaf springs is very impressive. A couple of pics of that rear flex would be great too.

TNT said:
Your rear suspension has 4" of compression on one side and can droop the other side 9" when flexed?

If you can fully extend one side in the rear when the other side is stuffed to the bumpstop I would like to know what springs and some details on your set-up you are using.

13" of rear flex with leaf springs is very impressive. A couple of pics of that rear flex would be great too.

Im sorry for the confusion.. my comments were more geared towards the front coil springs. Out back Im sitting more 60/40 but yes it still maxes out both directions...

that's a sexy yeep!! and a good idea on the bumpstops IMO.

but badron, cutting tempered glass is like letting my girlfriend drive...
(never gonna happen!)

TNT said:
Just don't try hammering over whoops at 60mph.... It would not be pretty...

Eh, it's actually not bad. Good shocks and progressive bumpstops work wonders at absorbing things...not quite as good as air bumps but better than bottoming out on a hard rubber puck.

TNT said:

...nevermind. :roll:

I built my own adjustable stops as well and they are working very good.
bumpstop5pr9.jpg

bumpstop6ta5.jpg

bumpstop7ex0.jpg

Back