• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SHould I step up to 33s from 31s

I think the bigger question is this, do you EVER plan on regearing?

I ran 31s and 33s with 3.55s and it was alright, alright enough for me to live with it for almost 4 years. Hell I even delivered pizzas in it when I worked at one !! I put 70k miles on my jeep with oversize tires and stock gears, did it suck on the highway? Ya but for the time being I drove it in 3rd and spent more on gas.

I also did overheat my trans a few times, once driving to rausch on a hot summer day with the AC blasting and another just on the freeway near my house... It did not burn the trans up completely but It did heat it up enough to be boiling fluid out of the dip stick. I changed the fluid out after both times and was fine ever since.

A year ago I finally regeared to 4.88s and WOW was i happy! Only reason I did it though was because a pinion bearing was toast and seals were leaking, otherwise I would of left it on 3.55s til I wanted to go bigger then 33s. Regearing is not cheap, do it once and do it right if you have to. I say for now run them, get some fresh high quality trans fluid in there and throw a cooler on it (wish I would get my butt to do that still) and have fun. Throw 20 bucks a week into an envelope and in a year or something you can regear, or just start looking for used built axles which you can find great deals on.

I ran stock gears and 33s for a few months and hated every minute of it. I enjoy my 4.88s much better.

However, as you've seen in this thread, there are numerous ideas and beliefs on it. You won't know if you'll hate it til you try it.

bob, vette_boy, who's saying to not wheel? You can wheel plenty on 31s. I'm glad that I've researched my upgrades rather than just chucking money at it until I got it right. ;)

regear even 4.10s would be better then the 3.55s.shop around maybe you can find axles that already are geared to save you $$

Check under 4-cyl XJs - I seem to want to recall that 4.10 gearing is common there, and they're a direct swap.

It's still D30/D35, but they should live with 33" tyres unless you're going to get silly. You may find C8.25/D30 combos in that gearing - I'd just suggest getting a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.25 (I've never liked the idea of C-clips, it's just done because they're cheaper to assemble.)

Check under 4-cyl XJs - I seem to want to recall that 4.10 gearing is common there, and they're a direct swap.

It's still D30/D35, but they should live with 33" tyres unless you're going to get silly. You may find C8.25/D30 combos in that gearing - I'd just suggest getting a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.25 (I've never liked the idea of C-clips, it's just done because they're cheaper to assemble.)
a. there isnt one for the 8.25c

b. have you ever seen a c clip fail

bob, vette_boy, who's saying to not wheel? You can wheel plenty on 31s. I'm glad that I've researched my upgrades rather than just chucking money at it until I got it right. ;)

Misunderstood. I'm saying to go wheeling instead of chucking money at something unless you know it'll be worth the benefit for your particular rig/application. Where you're at is nearly 2,000 feet of elevation higher and a lot less flat than where the OP is.

In my case, I came across a set of 33's for next to nothing, so I bolted them on and tried it out. If it had sucked I'd have done something about it, but it didn't, so I got two lunchbox lockers instead of regearing.

YMMV :)

Misunderstood. I'm saying to go wheeling instead of chucking money at something unless you know it'll be worth the benefit for your particular rig/application. Where you're at is nearly 2,000 feet of elevation higher and a lot less flat than where the OP is.

In my case, I came across a set of 33's for next to nothing, so I bolted them on and tried it out. If it had sucked I'd have done something about it, but it didn't, so I got two lunchbox lockers instead of regearing.

YMMV :)
:cheers:

And you have based this info with the correct speedo gear matched for 33" tires and stock gears? If not....Your stock speedo is turning more revolutions making it seem like you going further than you actually did. Giving you a 20-21 mpg bs reading. Realistically your probably getting much less than that.

Actually, it's the other way around. Your stock speedo gear will make the speedo and odometer read less than reality when running larger tires.

Ahhh yes... :twak: stock gears, stock speedo and bigger tires= less mileage.

Mine is slightly over cause of the 4:56 gears, stock speedo and bigger tires.

And you have based this info with the correct speedo gear matched for 33" tires and stock gears? If not....Your stock speedo is turning more revolutions making it seem like you going further than you actually did. Giving you a 20-21 mpg bs reading. Realistically your probably getting much less than that.

Using a 30 tooth speedo gear and went by a number of construction "your speed is" signs (some at 30mph and some at 50mph) to verify that it is pretty much right on the money (as close as I can tell at least). I don't have any of those fancy GPS systems (and I don't trust the one on my phone to be *that* accurate) to test further.

As I mentioned, this only happens when it's relatively flat, all highway driving as any reasonable grade will make it downshift to maintain speed and brings it back down.

I am content with it for now and it makes gearing not a "gotta do it right now" item (will eventually go to 4.56 or 4.88s).

the one in my phone was spot on according to a brand new stock tundra, at several speeds up to 85

b. have you ever seen a c clip fail

We spent probably close to six or eight man hours Friday and Saturday getting the stub of a broken axle out of a D35 C clip ARB spider. If it had been non-c we could have simply driven it out.

Personally I prefer non-c clip axles but it isn't a deal breaker.

For what it's worth my dad has 33s on 3.55s and it sucks bad on the highway. He will be a lot happier when I hook him up with 4.56 gearing. If you live in the flats and your engine is still strong it'll be acceptable, hills will get annoying fast.

Most 33" tires are only 32.5 inches tall. You said you drive on the road a lot and that is ok in Florida as the land is fairly flat and at see level. For me I am in the Sierra's so regearing is a must. You probably dont do a lot of rock's there so the extra wheel speed in the mud and sand will help you just keep the rpm's up.

Thank god I built my junk before ever reading this friggin forum...If I read first, I would have never just built my junk the way I wanted/could afford due to predictions/warnings of impending doom and catastrophic failure

I agree 100% with bob get the 33's and go wheelin while the others web wheel

I ran 33s and 355s for a long time... its not that big of a deal..... do it.

Well I was on the fence, then a deal came along to get a Brand New set of Firestone Destination MTs which is what my 31s are for $500 . (long story) so they have been ordered! I guess I will have to be the judge. Just locked front and rear my self so I will be pissed when I do regear eventually as I just had both ring gears in my greasy little hands! lol Thanks again all for input. Some were very comical. All helpful negative or positive though!

422756_4502021958935_1318210399_n.jpg

Lift more, try to move flares or bumpstop?

Back