• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should i move up to 31's?

It is the natural order;

$$$ tires too big $$$

$$$ Lift for tires to big $$$

$$$ Even bigger tires too big $$$

$$$ Gears for even bigger tires too big $$$

$$$$$ Even bigger yet tires too big, for marginal gearing set for even bigger tires too big $$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$ Heavier axles for even bigger yet tires too big, new gears for heavier axles $$$$$$$$$

$ Sawzall because you don't have enough money for more lift $

That is funny how things progressed just so one could run bigger tires. At the end of it all, a Sawzall is your best friend.

I moved from 225/70/15 too 30X9.5/15. I could tell from the first drive that things had changed. Snail starts around town was not bad. Anything else varied from noticable to downright frustrating. I was working in Honesdale, PA at the time I made the switch.

The first time I made the trip to Carbondale down US6 made me think something was wrong with the XJ. I usually set the cruise at 65 MPH and run up and down those hills without thinking. I find the AW4 hunting for the correct gear. My MPG went from 21 on the highway to 18. I learned to live with it for a few years shifting to 3rd to prevent gear hunting. Now I have 4.10 with 30's. I think the gear is a little too short for 30's on the highway. 31 would however be the biggest I would run. My highway milage is back to 22+ MPG at 65 MPH and 2360 RPM.

Many on this forum say it is 'OK', it is 'Doable' it 'Good'. It depends on the individual and their driving style, load carried and terrain driving on. For me, it is awfull and I would not do it again.

Go with the 31's. I wish now I had gone with 33's.

3010880498_22c1190908_b.jpg

Back