• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short Arm vs Long Arm - DD & Mild Trail Rig

I have OME springs (+ spacer), leaf packs, shocks and RC drop brackets...If a Lexus had to have 4.5 inches and axles...I wouldn't waste my money on a long arm kit, IMHO.

Most of this should be good to also?Whats the difference?
http://128.83.80.193/scarysteering/index.html

To be honest anything that RCP Phx posts about any one else's fab work besides his own he critizes to no end, just ignore him unless other people agree, heck even on that note dont listen to him...if you don't beleve me reseach his posts

On a side note IRO has got to have one of the best stances as far as standing behind their prodjuct. They are also open to suggestions, ie if you notice on their early run long arms they had them bent down (kinda like pro comp) I along with several others suggested that they invert the bend or make them straight, now they are all straight.

I would go with IRO if you want a Radius Arm/3 Link hi-bred, I know they are on my list when I decide to go long arms.

Last edited:
Sorry, I wouldn't trust that little top bracket with small bolts. Really the only thing keeping your caster in alignment is friction based on how tight those couple nuts are. It just doesn't seem logical at all. I wouldn't call it a 3 link either, more like a half-assed radius arm setup.

I will be giving my money to either BDS or Full Traction and getting a real 4-link longarm front suspension.

To be honest anything that RCP Phx posts about any one else's fab work besides his own he critizes to no end, just ignore him unless other people agree, heck even on that note dont listen to him...if you don't beleve me reseach his posts

On a side note IRO has got to have one of the best stances as far as standing behind their prodjuct. They are also open to suggestions, ie if you notice on their early run long arms they had them bent down (kinda like pro comp) I along with several others suggested that they invert the bend or make them straight, now they are all straight.

I would go with IRO if you want a Radius Arm/3 Link hi-bred, I know they are on my list when I decide to go long arms.

First off, RCP Phx generally posts useful information (albeit in a more blunt manner :D, but nothing wrong with that) and many get their panties in a bunch over it.

Second, it's not a "3-link" at all. It's a RADIUS ARM setup. It will not bind due to only having one upper arm, but it is not a true 3-link.

First off, RCP Phx generally posts useful information (albeit in a more blunt manner :D, but nothing wrong with that) and many get their panties in a bunch over it.

Second, it's not a "3-link" at all. It's a RADIUS ARM setup. It will not bind due to only having one upper arm, but it is not a true 3-link.

one of the guys from iro is on naxja and i brought this up to him

he said "no it's a 3 link. the "iron Y" is one link, the passenger side arm is a link, and the trackbar is a link. making it a 3 link"

its more like a wristed radius arm than anything else out there

if you search through my posts you could probably find more reasons i am not fond of this kit. i dont feel like going through them all again

Bookmarking this for later. I'm just like you and do mostly trails and mud, with crawling maybe twice a year. I like the long arms supposed better riding quality, especially when I go to 5.5", but the drop bracket kit's price sure does look nice... Decisions decisions...

Nobody mentioned rusty's? I had their long arms on my 99 and it was great. They are a full 4 point system and top notch products! I also am getting back into it and looking at these 3 link systems. I have only heard short term reviews so far. I have a RC 6.5 kit and it doesn't look that high to me and rides like crap!!

The Iron Rock longarm kits are proven in the WJ world. What do you have against the UCA mounting?

thats because they only wheel over curbs at the mall, seriously when have yoy ever seen a wj wheeling hard stuff

Nobody mentioned rusty's? I had their long arms on my 99 and it was great. They are a full 4 point system and top notch products! I also am getting back into it and looking at these 3 link systems. I have only heard short term reviews so far. I have a RC 6.5 kit and it doesn't look that high to me and rides like crap!!

top notch and rustys should not be put in the same sentence

wheres the pics of melissas track bar from saturday? that would be a good example

wheres the pics of melissas track bar from saturday? that would be a good example

tb1.jpg

one of the guys from iro is on naxja and i brought this up to him

he said "no it's a 3 link. the "iron Y" is one link, the passenger side arm is a link, and the trackbar is a link. making it a 3 link"

its more like a wristed radius arm than anything else out there

if you search through my posts you could probably find more reasons i am not fond of this kit. i dont feel like going through them all again
Its a radius arm set-up,trackbars dont count!Just like factory Ford,it only has 2 frameside mounting points!

Just curious! I have Claytons long arms on my ZJ. If anything, it's overbuilt. I have the IRO 5 1/2" kit waiting to be installed in my XJ. On various sites I see some complaining about IRO's top adjustable axle mount. These guys designed this kit after running the iron range in northern MN. If you knew them, you would know they wouldn't put something out on the market without abusive testing. Has anyone ever had a problem with the strength of their kit? Has the adjustable upper link ever broken under aggressive rock crawling? It's ok to criticize a design, but if it's reliable and stands up to any test you put it through, It must be a good design. I'm looking forward to many trouble free rides with my XJ and if I have a problem, Jason or Derrick will make it right.

Crasher...I'm with you on the whole bashing of some company's product without multiple reported incidences of failure. These companies like IRO have to put in a lot of R&D and testing to make sure they produce a safe product. While the companies might try to pass off the liability to the consumer/shop, if one of their products breaks due to bad design or quality and someone dies because of it, it will likely be the end of them...especially these small shops.

I have not driven on the Gilbert ORV park in the Iron Range...YET...but 4W&OR took their UA trip through there a couple years back and they only go to places where carnage is almost certain. If IRO truly did test their stuff there and elsewhere, which I'm inclined to believe they have, I trust their design. It also means though that I have to follow their installation specs to a "T", and make sure everything is torqued properly and reinspect those bolts every now and then...just like EVERY lift manufacturer suggests.

Thanks for all the opinions on what works for you and what you prefer, but I could do without the "this company's products suck..." and "that's a stupid design..." comments.

Now, if their customer service sucks and or there really is something about their products that makes them difficult to install or they have broken...I appreciate those, but try and be specific...

Thanks again!

I just received my IRO Critical Path Upgrade for my 96 XJ.
First impression on the components is they are beefy like you'd expect from any other company. I too was worried about the castor cam and after seeing it in person i no longer have any doubts about the quality or strength. After everything gets dialed in i may tack the cam bolts for insurance.
Customer service was great. I'll know more when it gets installed after i get my new diffs finished and under the Jeep.

As far as drop brackets are concerned my RC's are super stout and work well with a large tire which helps prevent hang-ups.

On a side note; what brand of Trac-bar was Melissa running and how'd it break, what was she doing at the time of snappage? -B

Back