• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shopping for a tow vehicle

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
As the title states I'm shopping. I thought had made up my mind on purchasing a Ford F-250 diesel crew cab in the 15-20K price range. For that money I can find a 2001 crew 2WD powerstroke automatic with miles in the low 100K. I would only tow my XJ probably 4-5 times a year anywhere from 200-400 miles one way. The rest would be to and from work about 10 miles one way. This is a big investment for me and I’ve started doubting my decision about the diesel. I’m wondering if a ½ ton Chevy crew with a gas motor might be a better deal. For the same money I’ve found 2004-2005 Chevy crew cabs with V-8, automatic with 20-30k miles. Gas prices vs. diesel are very close $2.67 to $2.70 per gal. Thoughts, comments, bashing welcomed…… blaise :us:

Well, the diesel will get slightly better mileage, and be better for towing because it's got more power. I'd stick with a 3/4-ton truck personally, but a 1/2-ton would work if you get the bigger engine. Chevy trucks are generally very good trucks, as are Fords. Dodges have trans problems up the wazoo with the automatics, seems to not matter what engine is in front of it.

I'd look for a Ford or Chevy 3/4-ton truck. Chevy did offer the Allison transmission behind some gas engines in the past couple years, I don't know what the price ranges are, but that would definitely be a plus. Ford gas engines are definitely more problematic than Chevy gas engines, but not problematic enough to be a real concern until the miles start piling up well over 150k. A Chevy with the 6.0L small-block or 8.1L big block (which I'm a BIG fan of :D ) would be good, as would a Ford with the 5.4L V8 or 6.8L V10. I'd avoid the Chevy 5.3 and Ford 4.6 if you plan on towing something as heavy as a Jeep.

I don't have much experience with either truck as far as diesel engines go, but I do know that the Ford Powerstroke (which is made by International) has a LOT of TSB's on it...many more than the Duramax.

Personally, you couldn't give me a 2WD pickup of any kind. Well, I guess I'd take one if it was given to me, but I wouldn't pay a dime for it. That's just me though.

ALL PLAY said:
You know the phrase like a rock well the rock (chevy) don't move.

I disagree. My shop has a '91 GMC 2500 ext cab 4WD, 350ci TBI engine, automatic. It's got 261,000+ miles on it and still runs like a champ. Only downside is the IFS, but for use as a daily driver, tow vehicle, and plow truck the IFS isn't really an issue.

Last edited:
blaisetd said:
As the title states I'm shopping. I thought had made up my mind on purchasing a Ford F-250 diesel crew cab in the 15-20K price range. For that money I can find a 2001 crew 2WD powerstroke automatic with miles in the low 100K. I would only tow my XJ probably 4-5 times a year anywhere from 200-400 miles one way. The rest would be to and from work about 10 miles one way. This is a big investment for me and I’ve started doubting my decision about the diesel. I’m wondering if a ½ ton Chevy crew with a gas motor might be a better deal. For the same money I’ve found 2004-2005 Chevy crew cabs with V-8, automatic with 20-30k miles. Gas prices vs. diesel are very close $2.67 to $2.70 per gal. Thoughts, comments, bashing welcomed…… blaise :us:

If you're just going to tow the XJ, and use it for a daily driver, you'd likely be happier with a 1/2 ton. Most diesels won't get better mileage than a 1/2 ton, or at least not much better. The newer year model diesels get better mileage than the older ones, but so do the gas motors. Diesels are nice to have, but they aren't cheaper to operate. The price of fuel has changed dramatically this last year, and fuel isn't cheaper than regular gas anymore, and much of the time it's the same or higher than premium. Maintenance costs on the diesel are more than the gas, like 14 quarts of oil to change rather than 6, so along with higher prices there is no savings in operating costs, and probably the diesel will cost more to operate.

If you're going to tow a heavier load, like buying a toy hauler, or adding a slide in camper, then you'll need a 3/4 ton. But, for just occasional towing of the XJ and a daily driver you'll be happier with a 1/2 ton. I own a PS diesel, and I've towed with a 1/2 ton. I'm also a used car manager at a Ford dealership, and I deal with this question all the time. Based on current fuel prices, the only real reason to own a diesel is because you want one, or because you just have to add a couple of mods and out pull your buddies hauling heavy trailers up the hills. I love my diesel, but I'm in my truck 3 times what I was in my previous gas truck, and the year, model, and miles are almost exactly the same on both, except the diesel is 4wd.

Hope this helps,

Goatman said:
If you're just going to tow the XJ, and use it for a daily driver, you'd likely be happier with a 1/2 ton. Most diesels won't get better mileage than a 1/2 ton, or at least not much better. The newer year model diesels get better mileage than the older ones, but so do the gas motors. Diesels are nice to have, but they aren't cheaper to operate. The price of fuel has changed dramatically this last year, and fuel isn't cheaper than regular gas anymore, and much of the time it's the same or higher than premium. Maintenance costs on the diesel are more than the gas, like 14 quarts of oil to change rather than 6, so along with higher prices there is no savings in operating costs, and probably the diesel will cost more to operate.

If you're going to tow a heavier load, like buying a toy hauler, or adding a slide in camper, then you'll need a 3/4 ton. But, for just occasional towing of the XJ and a daily driver you'll be happier with a 1/2 ton. I own a PS diesel, and I've towed with a 1/2 ton. I'm also a used car manager at a Ford dealership, and I deal with this question all the time. Based on current fuel prices, the only real reason to own a diesel is because you want one, or because you just have to add a couple of mods and out pull your buddies hauling heavy trailers up the hills. I love my diesel, but I'm in my truck 3 times what I was in my previous gas truck, and the year, model, and miles are almost exactly the same on both, except the diesel is 4wd.

Hope this helps,

That about sums it up right there. Another thing to be aware of is many diesel trucks seem to eat up auto trannies around the 100K mark. Mildly beefed up replacements run 3K or so.
I have a 2005 Chevy 1500HD crew cab short box 4x4 with the 6.0 as a work vehicle. It has the turning radius of a bus, the standard split bench seat is horrible, and the power is not very impressive considering the size of the engine and piss poor fuel economy. I hope to try an F150 Supercrew next time around.

RKBA said:
Another thing to be aware of is many diesel trucks seem to eat up auto trannies around the 100K mark. Mildly beefed up replacements run 3K or so.

:)

I bought my truck with 120K on it. A few months later I added a performance intake and exhaust, and a chip, and replaced the trans 600 miles later. The good thing is that the aftermarket parts that are available for these trannies make them nearly bullet proof, and now I expect it to last for the life of the truck.

Souped up diesels are fun, even if they're unnecessary. :D

go diesel. i pulled a 24 foot boat down the highway with our 4wd f-250 with the 7.3 powerstroke and hit 80 without realizing it :D its almost got 200K so i can vouch for it lasting too

Rev Den said:
Look for 3/4 ton Suburbans and the Ford Excursion.

Both can usually be found for less $$ than a simaller condition pick-up.

Rev

I love mine. Comfy to sleep in too.

I have a sweet 95 E350 7.3 PSD van for sale. Only 183k miles :D

Back