• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shopping for a mountain bike...

Are you using the small ones that you press the lens to turn on/off? I read that the batteries in those only last 20 hours or so.

the voyager

31WYWyk5ggL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

theyre the older model tho, the flea kit is usb rechargeable, my buddy has that and swears by it but the headlight doesnt throw enough light to see, but he only uses it to be seen. i like having a headlight to see the trail just in case im out a litter longer than i planned.

Ah I read reviews of the one you have, saying the headlight slides Back(towards the rider) and it always falls off going over bumps. Again, amazon has very mixed reviews. I was looking at the flea combo kit, it is up their in price and supposedly only had a 3 hour run time. I am tempted to duct tape a maglight on and be done with it ha.

Congrats on the purchase!

I use Knog lights on my fixed gear. Very simple design, stays where you put it. Plenty bright to keep you seen. The white headlight produces enough light to see whats ahead of you when there are no streetlights. Not enough light I would ride a trail with, but enough to see road.

Hitch racks are a good choice. If I didn't have a rear tire carrier, that's what I would use for highway travel. Around town I don't mind the roof mount, but I can definitely feel a bike or two up top when on the highway. If you are thinking about a roof mount, check out Rocky Mounts. They are a good product, and offer an affordable option to mount to your factory load bars if you don't want to spend coin on a Thule or Yakima base rack.

Good choice, I work at a Specialized/Giant dealer and when people ask me how a particular bike compares to a Trek/Fisher etc. I say what has been said here previously, all top tier manufacturers make similar bikes for similar money. The key is overall fit and comfort. In my shop, someone like yourself I'd have you ride the Specialized and a Giant Talon 29'er. Some people may find a slightly different geometry or some other concept about one or the other more appealing.

The bike you got was actually part of the 2012 early launch and when I saw our first couple come in in August I though that it was a really good bang for the buck for a 29'er.

I use knog frog's on my bar bike just so people see me. Use something like a Planet Bike Blinky Superflash as an obnoxious taillight, and a Blaze 1 or 2 watt in the front to see where you're going (or nicer like a NiteRider).

I can barely fit a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29'er in the back of my XJ, I take the front wheel off and slide the seat down.

I can barely fit a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29'er in the back of my XJ, I take the front wheel off and slide the seat down.

After the first trip I was like, Oh yea it has quick release wheels lol. I took the front wheel off and it makes getting in the back much easier, still fold the seat down. I was thinking I might try and leave the seat up and put the forks over the seat back. I don't know if the 29r wheel would fit standing straight up though.

Just thought I would mention this. I commented that my bike shop experience was crummy and with my online registration(filled out yesterday) I gave my shopping experience a 1 star. Well, I got an email from specialized today asking me for some feedback about the shopping experience. That is some good customer service and fast o taking such interest in an online survey like that.

Very happy with specialized as a company and product so far ;) .

Back