• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock eye orientation

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
I was going to post this in Mod tech but figured I wouldn't get the answer I was looking for. I'm putting some Bilstein 7100's in the front of my rig and am trying to determine if the orientation of the top and bottom shock 'eyes' matters.

So basically, the top mount is a T&J, so the bolt goes parallel to the axle. I built the bottom mounts off of the LCA mounts with tabs so the bolt goes perpendicular to the axle. Does this matter? Do both shock eyes need to be parallel, does the bottom need to be switched? I've heard of binding issues, etc. and I just want to make sure I get it correct.

I'm also going to be running my rear shocks through the floor, just some Bilstein 5125's. I'm curious about the same thing for the rear as well. I've seen people run their setups both way in the rear on top of the ubolt plate (bolt going parallel with axle and perpendicular to axle). Which way is ideal?

You're good to go. Some would argue that's actually the better orientation rather than the bolt being parallel with the axle. When a heim works, you want it to twist side to side, not spin inside the housing.

I ran my old foxes this way (mounted off the side of the LCA mount) for a LONG time with no ill effects, and it worked great. Make sure though, if you mount off the side of the LCA mount, re-inforce the mount with at least some mini-skids.

You're good to go. Some would argue that's actually the better orientation rather than the bolt being parallel with the axle. When a heim works, you want it to twist side to side, not spin inside the housing.

I ran my old foxes this way (mounted off the side of the LCA mount) for a LONG time with no ill effects, and it worked great. Make sure though, if you mount off the side of the LCA mount, re-inforce the mount with at least some mini-skids.

Awesome, thanks! They're actually reinforced with mini-skids and the top stock shock mount is cut off and they are reinforced there as well.

Probably the most important thing to check is clearance of the the shock mount and shaft as the axle cycles from full droop to full compression.

When a heim works, you want it to twist side to side, not spin inside the housing.

say what now?

you can't just make a claim like that on the intardnet and not provide a reason :compwork:

A rock crawler is looking for articulation. A desert car is looking for travel. Think how the axle is traveling up and down the most in each situation.
Yes, I totally understand that. Really not sure how that pertains to my question though or mounting the shocks off the LCA mount. I definitely understand that a desert car is going to be looking for more up-travel, but what does that have to do with the way my shocks are mounted? I could run plenty more up-travel if I wanted.

Yes, I totally understand that. Really not sure how that pertains to my question though or mounting the shocks off the LCA mount. I definitely understand that a desert car is going to be looking for more up-travel, but what does that have to do with the way my shocks are mounted? I could run plenty more up-travel if I wanted.

I did mine yesterday

plasma'd the stock mount off

shockmountsoff.jpg

the shock mount, with a deep socket around the bolt to keep everything straight
shockmountswelded.jpg

12" 7100 mounted.
shockmonted.jpg

the mount is going to get a skid plate welded under it, and a stand-off welded to the C once I get to it.

Because articulating moves the heims differently than just straight up and down does.

Bumping this back up. About to do my rear shocks through the floor. They will be Bilstein 5125's, so bushings on both ends. What would be the preferred method for the rear on the top and bottom, bolts going parallel to axle or perpendicular? Thanks.

Bumping this back up. About to do my rear shocks through the floor. They will be Bilstein 5125's, so bushings on both ends. What would be the preferred method for the rear on the top and bottom, bolts going parallel to axle or perpendicular? Thanks.

Heavy articulation can produce bushing bind near full compression with parallel mounts. Recommend perpendicular or change lower rod end to heim style from the 7100.

Last edited:
How are you doing your upper mounts?

i'm interested in this as well, i'm doing coilovers in the rear of my xj and i did the axle mount bolts perpendicular to the axle for maximum articulation, but i am unsure on the upper mounts. i will mainly be rock crawling. my thoughts is the upper mounts dont matter as much as there's less movement. is that correct? i was basically going to base the orientation on what's easiest to get at with a wrench. is there a better approach?

i did both mounts on my 9100s parallel to the axle in the rear. it was easiest to mount this way. the truck will be 75% street time, i'm not too concerned.

Back